Most Comfortable Mattress Review in 2019
Each mattress brand will claim they have the most comfortable mattress. Come on, when everybody’s saying that, then it seems nobody is special. Since we’re on a quest to provide you with information about the best mattresses on the market, we happen to know the metrics to help narrow down your choices. And we can point you to the truly special ones.
In terms of comfort, we’re bringing the list down to 10. Take a peek at our top contenders in the Table of Contents. Browse through our buyer’s guide section (Know Before You Buy) to learn about what makes a comfortable mattress. And, of course, enjoy reading our individual reviews.
Table of Contents
- Most Comfortable Mattress
- Know Before You Buy
- The Verdict
Most Comfortable Mattress
The original mattress from online brand Casper tops our list. It’s the company’s bestseller and one of the most popular models on online marketplaces. Many people do find it super comfortable, especially stomach sleepers. But all sleepers types can get a good night’s rest on this one. It’s all-foam with a firmness level of 6, so it’s pretty accommodating of different preferences, too.
This mattress provides stable contouring instead of a plush, dive-into-the-bed experience. Its support layer has zoning features that target pressure points. It also gives you that needed support when you sink into the memory foam. This makes the Casper Mattress a smart first choice for those suffering from backaches. Stomach sleepers can also enjoy it. Minimal motion transfer means those who share their bed with someone else should be fine.
While its foams sport an open cell structure, this model still retains heat. Some owners report that it sleeps warm. There’s some cooling, for sure, but it doesn’t seem to last all night. Edge support is also weak. But overall, it’s one of the all-foam mattresses that are close to being perfect. It’s also comfortable on the pocket, with a Queen retailing at $1,095.
- Casper’s award-winning bed-in-a-box mattress offers 12" and 4 layers of premium foam, plus zoned support for comfort and alignment
- Designed for all body types, our Zoned Support system features three areas of support, for optimal spinal alignment, no matter your height or weight
- Breathable open-cell foams have tiny pores to let hot air escape, keeping you cool at night
The mattress with an eponymous name is made by Nectar, Resident’s memory foam mattress brand. Like Casper, it follows the bed-in-a-box concept. It’s also just as well-known on the web. There’s enough support in it than those who snooze in their tummy won’t feel stuck. People who buy memory foam usually look for conforming capability, sinkage, and softness. And they get all 3 in the right proportions from this product.
Nectar Mattress users get to enjoy universal comfort as well. This model yields 5.5 to 7.5 firmness. It’s neither too soft nor too hard. As mentioned above, we recommend this to stomach sleepers. It also caters to back, side, and combo sleepers. Do you have an existing bed frame? Will you use it to carry this 5-layer foam goodness? You’re lucky because it works with any foundation.
As one of the more advanced all-foam versions, the Nectar Mattress has made improvements on breathability. Its cover uses a cooling fabric called Tencel. Its memory foam is infused with gel, a quite expensive material, to promote airflow. This layer also gives the bed its loft. Feel no discomfort when you check out the prices. A queen bed with no add-ons costs only $799.
- #1 FASTEST GROWING BRAND IN THE U.S. - Recognized as the fastest growing e-commerce retailer by Internet Retailer, Nectar is a memory foam bed-in-a-box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper. Nectar is part of the Resident House of Brands.
- TWO FREE PREMIUM PILLOWS INCLUDED - And with every mattress purchase, you also receive two free Nectar Premium Pillows. They will be found within the mattress packaging. ($150 value)
- INDUSTRY LEADING 180 NIGHT TRIAL- You can try Nectar risk-free for 180 days and return it if you are not 100% happy (180 day trial is for orders on Amazon only). This is nearly 3 months longer than the industry standard.
Idle is a company that wants to bring flippable beds back. While this was a common feature in the past, it claims that it’s no longer the case. Truth is we don’t see it as often. But there are benefits that come with it. One of these is that it limits body impressions and sagging in the mattress. In turn, this prolongs your mattress’ life.
But there’s more to the Idle Luxury 2-Sided Mattress. It sports a special foam layer that relieves pressure points. It’s called the Idle Cooling Buoyancy Foam, which can perform up to 4 times better than memory foam or latex, according to the company. Thus, it reduces discomforts, such as joint pain, stiffness, soreness, and kinks in the back and neck.
Need something that will help keep you cool? This bed is made without using viscoelastic chemicals, which make it better than memory foam. Instead, smart fiber cross-sections are applied to respond to your body’s temperature. The Idle Mattress Hybrid Queen design costs $1,549. Financing is available. Shipping and returns are free, and the sleep trial lasts 120 night. The bed is backed by a lifetime warranty.
- HANDMADE IN THE USA IDLE Sleep Mattresses are made at 1 of 3 factories in the United States. They are made to order within a day and shipped fast with free shipping and returns. LIFETIME WARRANTY IDLE Mattresses feature a LIFETIME Warranty so rest assured IDLE Mattresses are durable and we stand behind our products. 120 NIGHT SLEEP TRIAL With 120 Night’s to try your IDLE Sleep Mattress you will have plenty of time to see if our mattresses are right for you.
- Another benefit of the IDLE Foams are that they are not temperature sensitive. IDLE Foam will feel the same in all temperatures, whether it’s 20 degrees or 120 degrees. Where memory foam will get hard and stiff in a cooler room and softer in a warm room. IDLE foam will maintain the same support and feel no matter what temperature you like to keep you room.
- The IDLE Hybrids use the Quantum Edge-To-Edge Coil Unit. This is one of the best coil units available on the market. The Quantum Advantage: Edge Support: The coils run all the way to the edges of the mattress providing excellent edge support so you will not get a “roll off the bed” feeling. Motion Reduction: The coils react independently and will have much better motion isolation than a traditional coil system. Durability: The Quantum Coils System is one of the best systems you can get.
Another bed-in-a-box brand, Tuft & Needle sets itself apart through the T&N Adaptive Foam. A hardworking performer, this layer conforms to your body’s unique shape. Apply more pressure to the foam and it will adapt to cradle the heavier parts. Sounds like the ideal bed for sleepers of all shapes and sizes. Plus, when hitting the mattress, you’ll feel the right comfort and pressure relief–not like sinking in a quicksand.
In addition, the foam is infused with heat-wicking graphite and cooling gel. This lets heat escape instead of getting trapped in the all-foam construction. It’s reinforced by a cozy and cooling cover. A sturdy support foam base completes this structure. Tuft & Needle proudly carry certification for its foams and materials from CertiPUR US and GREENGUARD. It’s also got the right bounce which couples would love.
It may also bring you comfort to know that you can get a queen-sized Tuft & Needle Mattress for an insane deal: at $595. The company compresses its mattress and fits them in a box for convenient delivery and setup. You can avail of free pickup and the full refund should you wish to return it within the 100-night trial. Meanwhile, a limited 10-year warranty is applicable to owners of this model.
- PROVEN: We're not shy to say, people love us; This mattress has 1 of the highest percentages of 5 star reviews across mattresses on Amazon; We like to keep things honest and transparent, that goes for our business model, our products, and our reviews
- PROPRIETARY ADAPTIVE FOAM: Constructed with freshly poured T and N Adaptive foam, this mattress provides a bouncy yet supportive feel perfect for all sleeping positions and also allows us to box the mattress for quick shipping without compromising quality
- NOT HOT, NOT COLD, JUST RIGHT: Our high grade foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam; The T and N Adaptive foam sleeps cool, sleeps comfortable and offers pressure relief, plus you won’t disturb your sleeping partner
DreamCloud targets all sleeper types with this 15-inch-thick mattress. It’s packed with 8 layers of foam and spring. The first several layers are made for contouring and compression. You’ll have that cradling sensation until you get pushback support from subsequent layers. The strong 5-zoned support at the bottom prevents you from straining your pressure points. This is comfort as defined by the DreamCloud Luxury Hybrid Mattress.
It’s assigned a 6.5 firmness, which has luxury firm feels. This bed is not too firm or too soft. But the tufted cashmere blend cover gives your body a plush surface to lie on. You can fall asleep in any position without discomfort. Motion transfer is also minimal. Wake up less at night, with or without a partner who shifts pose frequently in their sleep.
A Queen costs $1,199 and you can avail of financing through Affirm. When your order is verified, DreamCloud will deliver your new mattress to your doorstep for free. You can test it out for 365 nights–yes, a year! And if you realize within the trial period that it doesn’t suit you, submit a return request to the company. They will also handle the return costs.
This mattress is backed by a lifetime warranty.
Created with side sleepers in mind, the Nolah Signature 12-Inch Mattress is tall and dual-sided. The star in this mattress is the AirFoam, a special foam that combines cooling and pressure relief. It’s present in both sides. The softer end contains 2.5-inch AirFoam placed atop a high-resilience foam. The firmer end has one inch of AirFoam attached to a high-density foam foundation–good for stomach and combo sleepers.
This model starts at medium soft, ideal for back and combo sleepers. But the flippable firmness feature is meant to serve all kinds of sleepers. Medium soft, according to the brand, feel as cushy as the belly of a polar bear. Adding to the coziness is the luxurious organic cotton cover that draws moisture away from the body. It’s also effective in relieving pressure off your hips and shoulders.
Nolah is known for contributing to wildlife protection. That could be a plus for people who like supporting socially/environmentally conscious companies. The regular price for a queen-sized version is $1,569. Shipping and returns are free of charge. The sleep trial lasts for 120 nights while the limited warranty coverage spans 15 years.
Selling sleep products that are healthy for you and the planet is what Avocado aims for. Inside the Avocado Green Mattress is a latex rubber foam layer, certified 100% organic by no less than the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS). Not only is it durable, resilient, and temperature regulating, it is also sustainably sourced. This support and endurance are reinforced by the 1,414 steel coils.
The sturdy coil system also boosts edge support while reducing motion transfer. Couples and growing families can share the bed in peace at night. The standard Avocado mattress is 11-inch thick. It sports a gentle yet firm feel that’s shown to please back and stomach sleepers. You can further customize this by adding a plush or firm mattress topper. Or order the pillow-top design for added cushion and 2 inches.
In addition to organic latex, Avocado uses non-toxic materials to keep your bedroom environment safe and healthy. For a Queen, you’ll have to shell out $1,399. The company also offers some of the industry’s best incentives, including a one-year trial and a 25-year warranty. Of course, shipping and returns are free. You may also check if you’re eligible to apply for financing.
Nest Bedding dishes out dream beds for a wide range of customers. Love & Sleep is the company’s memory foam mattress offering. It’s said to deliver the bounce found normally in coils, sans the coils! It blends springy and supportive, making it ideal for amorous activities. Get passionate without feeling warm, thanks to the breathable Energex, a hybrid foam that doesn’t use latex.
Nest Bedding has its own feel guide, where 1 is firmest and 10 is softest. The Love & Sleep Mattress comes in 2 firmness options: Firm (2.5 to 3) and Medium (3.5 to 4). Also, you’ll doze off soundly knowing this mattress is GREENGUARD certified. There are no harmful chemicals found in its materials, including the thermic phase change cooling fabric.
For those who think Nest Bedding is out of their budget’s range, they’re only partly correct. This model is actually pretty affordable. A queen-sized version retails at $699. But just as other Nest Bedding mattresses are made to order, you have to set a one-day buffer prior to the initiation of your free delivery. A 100-night sleep trial is available, with 30-day break-in period. It’s backed by a lifetime warranty.
- HYBRID GEL FOAM AND COIL - We've combined cooling Visco Gel support foam with a durable Caliber Coil system, granting two sided firmness in the first flippable hybrid mattress online.
- TWO LUXURY FEELS - Two breathable and ergonomically supportive sleep surfaces in a medium and firm feel designed for side, stomach and back sleepers. Sleeps comfortable and cool, with built in airflow and cool sleeping fabric.
- AMAZON-EXCLUSIVE - We know it's hard to find a trusted brand on here. Made in the USA using CertiPUR-US certified foam. Easy returns through Amazon during the sleep trial.
The Layla Mattress is one of the most well-received online mattress brands. It features a memory foam top layer infused with copper. This element is said to absorb heat well, preventing it from transferring back to your body. You can sleep cool while also getting deep compression. Its support layers are also designed to be breathable. But we believe that Layla’s true strength is something else.
By incorporating 2 firmness options in one bed, Layla is not just satisfying your firmness preferences. It’s also helping you invest in a mattress that will last long. If you happen to like both soft and firm sides, you can flip the bed regularly to allow it to maintain its shape. Either end provides pressure relief and cooling. Primarily, we recommend this model to side and back sleepers.
Layla’s pricing is also competitive. You can get a hold of a queen mattress for only $999. It is delivered to the customer’s doorstep, free of charge. Then, the 120-night trial period starts. If you don’t like your Layla, you can ask for a return and a refund. The company will issue your payment back in full and donate the discarded mattress to charity. A limited lifetime warranty is included.
- $150 OFF - Clip the Coupon Below Before Adding to Your Cart and SAVE $150 on your purchase
- COPPER INFUSED MEMORY FOAM - This copper infused cooling system mattress provides cooler sleep and variable support great for all sleeping positions
- FLIPPABLE FIRMNESS - Flip for comfort. Layla is a medium soft on one side and firm on the other so you get two firmness levels in one mattress
Lastly, we pick the All-New Purple Mattress. The star of this bed is the Smart Comfort Grid. Much like the adaptive foam layers of previously mentioned models, the Smart Comfort Grid adjusts to your pressure points. Our shoulders and hips, specifically, rest heavier on the mattress. So the New Purple is engineered to respond to the pressure in those parts. Then, it provides gentle support to the rest.
At the support section, there’s also a layer composed of individual coils. This enhances the adaptive response of the grid layer while also ensuring durability. Most of the layers focus on these two: support and airflow. The materials also bear the prestigious CertiPUR US certification, so you can rest assured your bed is not releasing harmful chemicals. One thing we’re not so sure about is the firmness.
Some owners report that the new Purple bed can be too firm. So this may not seem suitable for lightweight sleepers (130 pounds; see size guide below). But, given its popularity, it looks like this mattress still falls within the universal comfort. It’s pricier than its original counterpart at $1,599 (Queen), but financing is available. Get access to free shipping and returns, 100-night sleep trial, and a 10-year warranty.
- ULTIMATE QUEEN BED - Our queen mattress distributes equalized pressure and supports proper spine alignment. Together, these give you the ultimate sleeping experience for better recovery and relaxation.
- MOTION ISOLATION - Purple Innovations designed this queen sized mattress using sleep science and leading technology to create a special motion isolation so you don’t feel movement from others sleeping near you.
- FREE-FLOW AIR CHANNELS - The Free Air Flow technology with breathable channels neutralizes temperatures and won’t trap heat like memory foam or latex. Our mattress neutralizes temperatures to keep your body perfectly comfortable.
Know Before You Buy
Things to Look For In the Most Comfortable Mattress
We insert sleeping positions in each individual review because you deserve to know if a bed is designed especially for your type. Here’s a closer look at the different positions. Can you tell which type you are?
- Back – Snoozing on your back is the healthiest position except for those suffering from conditions like sleep apnea. With that comes flexibility in your choices. A slightly firmer bed should give enough support without sacrificing comfort. Pick one that has a nice cushioning
- Side – This position puts a lot of pressure on your shoulders and hips. Look for a mattress that relieves strain from these pressure points. Also, go for a soft model to cushion those parts and redistribute the pressure. Want something firmer? Medium firmness would also do.
- Stomach – When sleeping on your tummy, you need to align your spine with your back muscles, neck, and shoulders. A mattress should do that, as well as support your hips and abdomen. It would also be cool to lie in a bed that doesn’t trap heat and makes you feel you’re drowning in quicksand.
- Combination – If you find it hard to fit into one category, you may be a combo sleeper. You move a lot while you sleep (you’re pretty normal, though). You can adjust the firmness based on your preference. But overall, we recommend medium-firm, breathable and cooling, and pressure relieving. Another thing: make sure the bed promotes ease of movement.
Also, should you change your sleeping position? You may have to if you’re experiencing aches. Check out the Best Sleeping Positions for Better Sleep.
Now that you know which is the most comfortable mattress for your sleeping position, you can adjust your choices based on your body size. To simplify things, we use the terms lightweight, average weight, and heavyweight.
- Lightweight – 130 pounds. A softer but less thick mattress is optimal. This should provide enough support and cushion to your body. A firmer bed would cause you pain in your pressure points because it wouldn’t conform to your body well.
- Average weight – 130-230 pounds. This weight group has flexible options. Depending on which end you lean toward, you can choose soft or firm. Medium-firm is also created with this range in mind. The key is to know how to balance support, cushioning, and pressure relief.
- Heavyweight – More than 230 pounds. Maximum support is required for this weight group. The ideal bed for you is thick and tall (start at 12 or 13 inches), ultra-firm, and pressure relieving. If you want an all-foam mattress, pick one containing high-density foam layers. What if you like innerspring or hybrid? Either is good if you tend to sleep hot.
Construction & Materials
Construction may refer to the mattress type, such as all-foam, innerspring, or hybrid. It can also be about the structure of each bed. For instance, an all-foam mattress typically has comfort, transition, and support layers. You may also categorize the unique design of a bed, like the zoned layer or grid layer in our examples.
Inevitably linked with construction are the materials. In a way, we deconstruct our reviews to see if the materials used to deliver what they have been promised to do. Consequently, this is where brands name all the certifications they’ve earned. Those are important, too.
Firmness & Feel
We love this part! Nailing the firmness and feel of each mattress is more art than science. That’s probably because there’s no exact science yet that could tell us which bed our bodies should prefer. But it’s very important when you’re talking about comfort. While the softest bed doesn’t translate to being the most comfortable mattress, the ultimate judgment depends on an individual’s needs and likes.
But that’s not to say the standard firmness scale should be disregarded. In general, we use this legend as a guide.
1 is soft, 10 is firm
Ultra Soft – 1-2
Soft – 3-4
Medium – 5-6
Firm – 7-8
Ultra Firm – 9-10
Good air circulation within the mattress layers is important to keep you cool at night. The most comfortable mattresses on our list understand this. And they weave different techniques into their creations to keep you from sleeping hot. Especially if you already sleep hot in the first place.
The models facing the greatest challenge are the all-foam ones. You see, there’s literally no ventilation in the traditional foam structure. It’s just one block of latex or other material on top of another–the making of a heat trap.
This is pretty straightforward. When you set out to replace an old mattress or buy a mattress for the first time, you’re working within a budget range. Even if you have all the money in the world, you probably have a number or number range attached to what you like in mind.
We have choices for all types of budget, starting from the $500 up to above $1,500 (Queen). Mattresses sold in showrooms, retail stores, and department stores normally command higher prices than their online store and bought-directly-from-company-website counterparts.
Free shipping and returns, trial length, and warranty are the top incentives offered by most companies.
Some also dish out promos on special occasions and holidays. We’ll tell you about them as we encounter them. Others tap marketplaces like Amazon to sell to the wider market, and the prices here are marked down. So make sure to check out some of our marketplace recommendations.
And how do the special ones achieve this? Sometimes, it’s just a matter of going the extra mile for the customers. There are others that look comfortable at face value. But the brands making them do not specify what’s inside their beds. Or what technology they’re using to address breathability issues.
As far as we’re concerned, providing the right information is just as important as other parts of the business. It can be labeled as marketing, but yeah, the best ones know it’s more than just that.