Best Memory Foam Pillows in 2019
The most popular material that is used to construct high-quality mattresses and pillows these days is memory foam or viscoelastic polyurethane foam. It’s popular because of its ability to mold your body a certain way so that you don’t wake up with odd sores and aches in the morning. Aside from memory foam beds, memory foam pillows abound on the market.
If you’ve been confused by their sheer number out there, you’re now in the right place.
Memory foam works by becoming softer around the areas where it comes in contact with the human body’s heat. This allows the material to conform to the shape of the body for effortless comfort.
Keep in mind that while you cannot wash a memory foam pillow by tossing it in the washing machine, it usually comes with a cover that can be removed and washed for optimal hygiene.
Table of Contents
- Best Memory Foam Pillows
- 1. Layla Kapok Memory Foam Pillow
- 2. Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- 3. TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Foam Pillow
- 4. Nest Bedding The Easy Breather Pillow
- 5. Coop Home Goods Eden Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- 6. Bear Pillow
- 7. InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow
- 8. Classic Brands Conforma Firm Memory Foam Pillow
- 9. Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- 10. Malouf Z Zoned Memory Foam Pillow
- Know Before You Buy
- The Verdict
Best Memory Foam Pillows
The first option on this list, and possibly the best memory foam pillow available, is the Layla Kapok Memory Foam Pillow. This comes with a kapok fiber-infused filling that makes it stand out from the others found in this guide. Aside from shredded foam, the company has infused the pillow with fibers from the kapok tree. The fibers’ downy texture and lack of heat retention help regulate the foam’s temperature.
The cover of the pillow is infused with copper, an element that has shown promise in improving the sleepers’ blood flow. The impressive 120-night trial is also supplemented with a 5-year warranty, making this a winning product.
If you don’t have the kind of budget to buy some of the more expensive memory foam pillows, you can always opt for the more affordable yet good-quality options. One great example of these is the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow. This product gives you superior conforming and pressure relief–quite the competitor to the more expensive options.
Filled with shredded memory foam and covered with a bamboo-derived rayon cover, this pillow comes with the option of adjusting the loft. However, instead of tearing it open and adjusting the amount of fill themselves, customers are asked to ship it back to the company so that it can be done professionally.
- Shredded Style Combination Memory Foam Pillow That NEVER GOES FLAT! Our Kool-Flow Soft and Luxurious, Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover Made In The U.S.A. with 43% Viscose of Bamboo, 56.4 percent Polyester, .6 Percent Lycra KEEPS YOU COOL ALL NIGHT LONG! Fully Machine Washable.
- MADE IN USA CERTIFIED Bed Manufacturer Using Eco-Friendly Biogreen & Certipur-US Certified Foam.
- Now With Zipper Removable Outer Cover To Allow For Easy Adjustment of Thickness and Comfort. Conforming Shape Orthopedically Supports the Neck For Side, Stomach, & Back Sleepers.
If budgetary constraints are something you don’t need to worry about, the TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Foam Pillow is definitely worth a try. You will be getting a design that is well worth the money you’re spending. This is built using Tempur memory foam, which is an extremely lightweight material that can give you superior contouring combined with pressure relief.
The layer of Tempur-Breeze gel that is placed on the sides of the pillow helps keep you cool as you sleep. The cover is soft and stylish, built with quilted cotton, which allows you to remove and clean it separately in a washing machine. However, there is no sleep trial.
- TEMPUR MATERIAL - The Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling TEMPUR-Breeze Gel Layer on both sides of the pillow helps to keep you comfortable during the night. Formed Tempur material precisely supports your head, neck and shoulders
- PERFECTED FOR YOU - Tempur-Pedic pillows are made with pressure-relieving material, formulated by NASA, and perfected by us for a perfect night's rest.
- 5 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY - Adaptive TEMPUR material offers personalized support and alignment and returns to its formed shape after each use.
If you are a side sleeper, you need a pillow that helps in alleviating the pressure points that build up around the neck and shoulders. This is exactly what the Nest Bedding Easy Breather Pillow does for you. Built with good circulation to keep it relatively cool, this pillow can be easily molded to whatever position you like.
If you are looking for a medium-firm level pillow that can handle different weight categories, this is a good option to consider. In addition to this, the cover made of Tencel lyocell is extremely breathable. The 100-night free trial is also a welcome addition.
- Zipper cover Tencel blended fabric.
- Adjustable, supportive for any sleep style.
- CertiPUR shredded memory foam fill.
Another great option for those who prefer shredded memory foam pillows is the one by Coop Home Goods. The Eden pillow uses high-quality CertiPUR-US Certified foam, which is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. This is an important factor to consider if you are prone to allergies. Additionally, the support provided by the pillow is very impressive when it comes to molding your body and giving you pressure relief.
The cover is made of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester for a cooling effect with additional airflow. The company will give you a 30-day trial of the product if you decide to change your mind, and a 5-year warranty to go with it.
- LOOK NO FURTHER, HOT SLEEPERS - Your search for the perfect pillow has come to an end. The Eden features our soft, gel-infused memory foam & microfiber fill blend for a cooler sleep experience and a gusseted design for edge-to-edge support.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE TO YOU - Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size and sleep position for healthy sleep posture. A good night's rest awaits.
- LUXURY FABRICS FOR A LUXURY EXPERIENCE - The case is made with Lulltra fabric, a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester that provides breathability and softness. Hypoallergenic & dust mite resistant, you can finally wake up refreshed.
6. Bear Pillow
If you are a hot sleeper, the wrong kind of mattress or pillow can lead to many sleepless nights. This, however, isn’t something you need to worry about with the Bear Pillow. This particular product is built using just one piece of aerated “Loft X” polyfoam, which works like magic when it comes to air circulation within the pillow.
The cover of the pillow — built with a polyester blend — comes with mesh panels that improve the pillow’s breathability. With its impressive shape retention abilities and 5-inch loft, this pillow can be used by consumers of different body types. Additionally, the 100-night sleep trial and decent warranty make it a great deal.
A lot of people suffering from issues like sleep apnea, acid reflux, or breathing problems need specialized pillows. This is to keep their head and upper body elevated as they sleep. While most pillows cannot achieve that position easily, the InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow may be all that you need in such a situation.
This pillow comes with 2 different foam layers — regular base foam topped with 1.5 inches of memory foam — so that there is pressure relief, comfort, and support for the person sleeping. Additionally, the cover can be washed in a washing machine. Keep in mind that this pillow is quite high and is only meant for people who sleep on their backs.
- Two Layer Design: This latest version is made of 2-INCH memory foam layer on top of a firm base foam, also adding built-in channels between the top memory foam layer and the base foam to enhance air circulation. The end result is the most comfotable wedge pillow on the market. U.S. Patented
- Designed to help patients with acid reflux, snoring, allergies, or any other condition which breathing may be impaired in supine position
- It can also be used when you are recommeded by a health professional to sleep in an elevated position after surgery. It helps reduce back pain, providing a healthy, more comfortable night's sleep.
The Conforma memory foam pillow from the Classic Brands stable is a great option for people who want that medium-firm feel. This one sports a high-quality memory foam with an open-cell structure. The ventilated holes within it allow for an increased flow of air, while the pillow gives you great pressure relief and support.
When the memory foam molds itself around your body, the velour knit cover helps in providing great comfort which leads to a good night’s sleep. As there is a degree of firmness in this pillow, your head will not just sink in. But that’s what makes it great for people who sleep on their backs or their sides. However, this may not be ideal for stomach sleepers because of the firmness.
- Responsive memory foam provides ergonomic support and is ideal for side and back sleepers
- Superior pressure relief and supportive comfort for your head, neck, and shoulders
- Memory foam is naturally antimicrobial and resistant to allergens, mold, bacteria, and dust mites
A great shredded memory foam option is the Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Pillow. This is a hypoallergenic pillow built with shredded CertiPUR-US Certified memory foam on the inner side. It also features a well-constructed bamboo cover that allows for better airflow.
As the pillow is made with shredded foam, it’s much easier to adjust the thickness based on your personal preferences. If you are prone to allergies and don’t want your bedding to make things worse for you, the Xtreme Comforts pillow can help a lot. While the pillow will need to be fluffed up each night before you sleep, the cover itself is very breathable, soft, and easy to maintain.
- "THE BEST BED PILLOW" RATED #1 by THE WIRECUTTER an independent review organization. USA TODAY VOTED 2019 BEST PILLOW. MADE IN THE USA - - IDEAL FOR ALL SLEEP POSITIONS.... BACK, SIDE, STOMACH. a perfect fit for YOU. - FALL ASLEEP FAST and SLEEP BETTER than you ever have before!
- OUR MEMORY FOAM PILLOWS USE ONLY CertiPUR-US CERTIFIED FOAM & MEET STRINGENT STANDARDS for content, emissions & durability. They are analyzed by independent, accredited testing labs. - SLEEP RESTFULLY knowing that our pillows have NO ozone depleters, TCEP flame retardants, TDCPP, PBDEs, lead, mercury, and heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the CPSC, or CFCs. - This assures you and your family are using a HEALTHY AND SAFE PRODUCT especially for those during pregnancy.
- ULTRA DELUXE PREMIUM QUALITY SHREDDED MEMORY FOAM will not become lumpy or go flat. It remains uniform in density, CONFORMING TO YOUR PERSONAL HEAD & NECK CONTOUR for a perfect nights sleep & returns to shape, night after night, - Because the foam is shredded, you can maneuver & mold your pillow so that it is comfortable for back stomach & side sleepers. - Promotes PROPER BACK, NECK & SPINE ALIGNMENT. Help BACK & NECK PAIN, TOSSING & TURNING, Insomnia, Migraines, Snoring and ORTHOPEDIC PROBLEMS.
If most memory foam pillows seem to be a little too firm for your liking, you may want to consider an option like the Malouf Z Zoned Memory Foam Pillow. This pillow uses a doughier form of memory foam that lets you sink in without losing out on the support.
In addition to that, the product is designed in such a way that there are differently-sized holes located across different zones. For example, there are smaller ones around the edges while larger holes are placed around the area where your head is going to be. The open-cell technology foam allows for better circulation of air, while the beautifully constructed cover adds a touch of luxury.
- DOUGH Formula creates a softer, doughier memory foam
- With smaller holes on the outside and larger holes toward the middle, our unique ZONED TECHNOLOGY provides optimal support and comfort
- Offers superior pressure relief and can eliminate sleeping pain
Know Before You Buy
Things to Look for in a Memory Foam Pillow
Construction & Materials
We are mostly talking about the fill in this case. As we mentioned earlier, you may find pillows made of one piece of shredded pieces of memory foam. An example of fill would be the kapok fiber-infused one found in the Layla Kapok Memory Foam Pillow. There are also bamboo-infused and copper-infused foams on our list.
Most of the brands in this guide also make mattresses. It follows that they found a way to use the same proprietary material, or something similar, in their pillows. Tempur is a quick reference in this regard. In other cases, sleep accessories are built to complement bed models.
You may also note the integration of layers of materials into a few pillows. For instance, the InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow has a foam base topped by memory foam. When you encounter this, it’s best to ask what the layers are for. Of course, check out the cover’s specifications as well.
Firmness & Feel
If you shopped mattresses before, you’re probably familiar with the firmness scale used to determine how soft or hard the surface would be. If not, then that’s all right. The firmness scale used for beds ranges from 1 to 10, with 1 as the softest and 10 as the hardest. This may or may not be applied to pillows.
The good thing about memory foam pillows is that their firmness levels often come with definitions. You may also check out what other users are saying–but we’ve already done that for you, correct? Just keep in mind that firmness levels allow you to tailor the feel to your needs and wants.
And don’t be confused! Medium is different from medium-firm. Medium falls in between medium-firm and medium-soft. That’s pretty similar to the customization you can get from a mattress. We’ve mentioned firmness levels in our recommendations where the information is available.
In some cases, memory foam pillows are designed for a specific customer segment. You have the InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow as the perfect example. It is made for people who have conditions affecting their sleep, such as sleep apnea, acid reflux, or breathing problems. If you are suffering from these issues, consider buying a personalized version such as this one.
Another way to look at this is if the pillow’s loft can be customized. Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow allows this. However, instead of letting you adjust it on your own, the maker requires you to send back the product to them. And then they will adjust the loft for you. It may take time, but at least you’re assured it’s professionally done.
Size and Thickness
The typical sizes for memory foam pillows are standard, queen, and king. Here is the breakdown of dimensions for these 3 sizes:
- Standard – 20 x 26 inches
- Queen – 20 x 30 inches
- King – 20 x 36 inches
Your preferred pillow size may fall more or less within those dimensions. This is particularly useful when you’re shopping for pillowcases to go with your pillows. For sheets, you can find standard and king sizes anywhere. Queen sizes can be replaced by standard ones if you the former is elusive.
How about thickness? Pillows with a single thickness can typically range from 4.5 to 7 inches. Pillows with middle-thickness include Classic Brands Conforma Firm Memory Foam Pillow at 5 inches. On the other hand, some models sport dual thickness. For instance, one side can be around 2 inches and the other is 4 inches. That totals to 6 to 7 inches.
Memory foam pillows already sound like special versions of ordinary pillows. But trust us: there are traditional memory foam pillows which often fall within the inexpensive category. Then there are the ones within the midpoint range. Others can be more expensive, such as the TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Foam Pillow.
Your budget and the quality of the product, as well as the reputation of the company, can help you determine the choice that offers the best value for your money. Just make sure to spare $50 to $60, the average cost for queen-size memory foam pillows.
Definitely, you can get a bang for your buck when you shop online. That’s because e-commerce is happy to have discounts, promos, and sales come your way. And you can get access to high-quality yet affordable options by just clicking buttons these days.
Don’t skip this part. The sleep trials, shipping, and return terms, and warranties are just as important as the price and design of your pillow. For one thing, you have these perks now! There have never been a better time shopping memory foam pillows than in 2019.
Sleep trials often last from 30 nights to 100 nights. The longest we’ve found is 120 nights–which is really generous. But it’s also pretty standard if you’re buying a memory foam pillow online. After all, this sleep accessory is not just an “accessory”. It is meant to help you sleep better.
Meanwhile, the average coverage for warranties is 3 to 5 years. Not bad for a pillow. The typical length for beds is 10 years. Now, if your purchase isn’t fit, some companies will allow you to return the product and give you a full refund–provided you make the request within the trial period.
If you look at the memory foam pillow options mentioned above, you may notice that each is well-constructed and built using high-quality materials. However, it’s up to you to decide which is more suitable for your individual needs. The price range can vary greatly even within this list, but you will have to carry out a personal cost-benefit analysis to see what is worth your money and what is not.
Overall, our pick for the best memory foam pillow is the Layla Kapok Memory Foam Pillow. But any of the rest may be more suitable for you depending on whether or not you are a hot sleeper, have any particular health issues, and other factors that you have to take into consideration.