Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress Review 2020
Affordable luxury has double meaning when applied to Brentwood Home. The maker of the Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress has been in business for 30 years. For the most part, it sold its beds through retailers, who placed high markups on the price tags. And that’s the situation with which customers came to associate the brand.
Only recently, in 2012, the company shifted to selling directly to consumers. It became part of the online mattress boom without losing its signature attention to detail. The mattresses models in its line are still handcrafted in California, made using organic and non-toxic materials, and designed together with its partner artisans and fabricators.
Its current lineup is composed of the following: Oceano Mattress, Crystal Cove Mattress, Cedar Natural Luxe Mattress, and Cypress Bamboo Gel Mattress. The focus of this review will be the Cedar Mattress–the premium eco-friendly mattress option. This 13-inch latex hybrid mattress will be rated based on the factors we use here at PhatFusion. We’re just as excited as you are to learn what the final score will be.
Table of Contents
- Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress Review – Unbiased & Updated
- Why You Should Buy the Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress
- Why You Should Not Buy the Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress
- The Verdict
Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress Review – Unbiased & Updated
Construction & Materials
Natural and organic come together inside the Cedar Natural Luxe Mattress. Find out exactly what the components are and what they are for. The surface is already packed with the following:
- Organic Cotton Cover – Wrapping the entire bed is a cover made of organic cotton, hand-tufted with 100% wool rosettes to ensure the layers adhere with each other. It is then quilted with a natural fire barrier composed of hydrated silica sand.
- Organic Cotton Fiber Quilting – The quilted panels and borders sport organic cotton certified by the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
- New Zealand Wool – Two layers of this material are added to the design. The JOMA New Zealand wool used is left untreated to maintain its temperature regulating capabilities. Meaning, it cools you down during summer and warms you up during winter.
- 1-inch Alpaca Wool – Two words to describe this wool from the Netherlands are luxurious and silky, which represent Brentwood Home. But the Alpaca Wool is not just aesthetically pleasing, it’s also naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to flame.
- Organic Cotton Batting – Sourced from India, GOTS-certified organic cotton fibers are injected in the quilted panels and borders.
The foam-and-coil combo comprises these layers:
- 1.5 inch of Articulated & Zoned 100% GOLS Organic Certified Latex – First off, the Dunlop latex present here is certified by the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) as organic. It is designed using a computer and cut into three zones to precisely provide relief to your shoulders, lower back, and legs. It also leaves you with an expanded surface area and a breathable comfort layer.
- 8-inch Individually Wrapped Support Coils – The support layer is a system of 1,130 individually wrapped coils (count for Queen). It contours to the body accordingly, supporting the lumbar region.
- 1/2-inch Coconut Husk Support Layer – Coco fiber is repurposed and hand-tufted with latex to deliver antimicrobial, breathable, and eco-friendly support at the base.
- ALL NATURAL MATERIALS: Our Cedar green mattress is the best all natural bed. Rest with total peace of mind on eco-friendly and sustainable materials like natural latex, organic cotton, and organic coconut husk. Made with absolutely no pesticides, toxins, or harmful chemicals, youll feel great about sleeping in.
- TARGETED ZONES: Our computer designed and cut layer of natural latex has a sculpted edge for more pressure relief and less motion transfer than traditional latex or memory foam. With grooves placed in 3 targeted zones, youll find optimal comfort for your shoulders, back, and legs through the night.
- SLEEP COOL: Weve carefully chosen materials that allow for cooler sleep, naturally. Ventilated Dunlop latex allows for increased air circulation, while OEKO-TEX certified Summerweight New Zealand wool wicks away moisture and regulates temperature through all seasons.
Firmness & Feel
Mattress firmness is a matter of individual preference. But the industry has come up with a common scale to identify the right feel–not too soft and not too firm. The Firmness Scale ranges from 1 to 10, with 1 as the softest and 10 as the firmest. Medium firmness, which is assigned a score of 5.5 to 7, is used to determine universal comfort.
Based on Brentwood Home Cedar Organic Mattress reviews from both users and experts, its firmness score is 5. It still falls within the universal comfort range but is leaning toward soft. The combination of wool and latex at the top contributes to the plush feel. You will sink in through the latex layers before you’ll encounter pushback from the coils.
The medium feel is best for all types of sleepers: back, side, and stomach. Back and side sleepers can benefit a lot from the targeted contouring. Due to its thick profile, even stomach sleepers can also get some support from this one. However, sink-in and plush effects may not be ideal for them.
Additional note: If you want more plush, you can order the Cedar Mattress topper. It consists of an organic cotton cover, New Zealand wool, organic cotton batting, and a 2-inch GOLS-certified latex layer.
In your quest to build a healthy home, you should look for stuff that is healthy from the inside out.
The organic and natural materials found in the Cedar Mattress work together to deliver a breathable mattress. Latex is known for its open cell structure, which promotes air circulation. This lets the layers enjoy good ventilation. At the same time, you have organic cotton and JOMA wool at the surface to facilitate cooling and temperature regulation.
Temperature regulation is an important feature in this bed. While wool and latex are naturally cool, the effect won’t be enough. Neutralizing your skin temperature is better. So the wool and cotton blend cools you down during summer and warms you up during winter. The materials adjust to your body, similar to how phase change technology works. In addition, the independently encased coils enhance the breathability of the bed.
And as you reach the bottom, the coconut husk base layer offers the same functionality. So you have air flowing in and out freely. This kind of ventilation is not easy to find in all-foam versions. It’s more common among hybrids, of course. But Cedar Mattress takes it to the next level by not letting the layers’ potential go to waste.
Edge Support & Sinkage
There is minimal sinkage to be observed when you sit or lie down on the edge of the Cedar Mattress. This sounds great for those who love to roll over the bed. You can maximize the surface area while also worrying less that your bed will sink early. Premature sagging is not a good look on a luxury mattress.
The good thing is that it does hold up at the edges, making getting in and out of bed easier as well. It’s a good choice for couples and co-sleepers. And it has some bounce, too, for some enjoyable sexytime.
Couples and co-sleepers, rejoice! This bed isolates motion well, according to Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress reviews we collated. Meaning, there is little to no transfer when one person shifts on the mattress. Unlike with other innerspring and hybrids, the Cedar Mattress can minimize motion transfer significantly.
This can really help light sleepers who are sharing their bed with someone else. Even the slightest movement can disrupt these people’s sleep. So it’s better to go for a model that performs excellently in this area.
The Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress is the premium offering of Brentwood Home. Granted, it is the most expensive among the brand’s models. You can get this one for $2,899 (Queen). A Cypress Bamboo Gel Mattress of the same size costs only $500 or $600, depending on thickness. Oceana, the second most expensive model, retails at $1,495. Crystal Cove sells for $1,295.
If you are determined to own a Cedar Mattress, you can try applying for financing through Affirm. You can check if you qualify by providing the third-party financing company some information. Then, it will let you know you quickly if you are eligible for financing. Available monthly payment options can last up to 6, 12, or 36 months.
- Firm feel. 9-inch height. Full Size 54 x 75 x 9.
- Made with CertiPUR-US foams free of flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates.
- 2-inches of gel memory foam provides personalized support and cooling comfort.
All Brentwood Home mattresses are compressed in a box and shipped for free to your home, provided you live within the continental United States. You can opt for a white glove delivery for $199. If you add in a mattress removal request, your total charge will be $275. Free shipping can take 7 to 14 business days, while white glove delivery can be completed within 14 to 21 business days.
Your new mattress comes with a 365-day trial. Yes, you can test it out for one full year! This is a generous sleep trial considering the average ranges from 90 to 120 days. What if you end up not liking it? A return can be requested, but Brentwood Home requires a 30-day break-in period. After that, it will initiate the return process, handle pickup, and refund you in full.
If you end up liking it, you will be entitled to a 25-year warranty.
Why You Should Buy the Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress
If a medium feel leaning toward the soft end is what you want, enjoy it to the max with the Cedar Mattress. It has a sink-in effect that goes all the way to the core. You can even bump up the plushness by placing the custom Cedar Mattress topper. The bed is thick enough to handle all shapes and sizes. And it can support stomach sleepers a bit.
If you sleep hot, do not hesitate to hit this particular hay. Aside from the healthy surface, you are also resting your body on a highly breathable mattress. Each component or layer has cooling, temperature-regulating, or air-circulating capability. Plus, it’s a hybrid, which by default is great in this department. Despite its thick profile and sink-in feel, you won’t feel hot when coming in contact with the surface materials.
If you want to reduce your carbon footprint or simply prefer eco-friendly products, Cedar Mattress is one of the most compatible mattresses for you. Its lineup of natural and organic materials is not just for show. The company has been pursuing sustainable paths in manufacturing mattresses. It partners with small businesses to build beds that are safe for you and the planet.
Why You Should Not Buy the Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress
On a tight budget? As you gleaned from the Pricing section, this mattress is son the high-end of affordable luxury. It is the premium offering of Brentwood Home. Financing is available if this is something you are willing to explore. However, it is not within reach of many customers yet. Anyway, Brentwood Home has an all-foam alternative for you in Cypress Bamboo Gel Mattress ($500 to $600 for a Queen).
If you want a truly firm mattress, skip this bed altogether. While the spring system at the core is supportive enough, you will still encounter the soft, sink-in feel of the top layers first. Those who want more elevation while sleeping or performing amorous activities should consider other options, too.
It is recommended to rotate your mattress 180 degrees every two to six months. This practice will allow the surface to even out. However, not all models are made to be flipped. Cedar Mattress belongs to that category. Aside from being heavy, the bottom side will not deliver the relief and feel that the bed was designed to deliver.
Read our full review of the Best Luxury Mattresses in 2020.
We’ve laid down the reasons why you should not get this one as well. Its plush feel, higher-than-average price, and heavy construction can turn off some buyers. And that is expected. But if money is not a problem or budget can be adjusted, it is definitely an exceptional purchase. The pros of owning Cedar Mattress can outweigh the cons.
What do you think of this option? Is it a go or no-go for you?
Brentwood Home Cedar Mattress Review
- Construction & Materials
- Firmness & Feel
- Edge Support & Sinkage
- Motion Transfer
- Other Factors