Best Pillow for Combination Sleepers in 2020
Do you fall asleep on your back and wake up on your side? Does your partner or sibling tell you to stay on your spot because you tend to sprawl? But you’re so sure you sleep like a log!
Chances are you switch multiple positions at night. Whether or not you’re aware of it, you need to aim for ideal support and comfort for your sleeper type. And you can start with the best pillow for combination sleepers.
Is it necessary? Yes! Maybe it won’t help that much in keeping you in your spot as your co-sleeper wishes. But it can make you sleep well and wake up refreshed – in whatever position you end up in.
As you move forward in this article, you’ll learn more about your sleeper type. Take your time to read our round-up of the top pillow picks for you. And don’t skip the factors to consider when pillow shopping at the bottom.
For an overview of the topics, see the Table of Contents below. You can also click on a specific section, and we’ll take you there quickly.
Table of Contents
- Are You a Combination Sleeper?
- Best Pillow for Combination Sleepers in 2020
- 1. Snuggle-Pedic Ultra Luxury Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow
- 2. Luxuredown Goose Down Pillow
- 3. Premier Down-like Personal Choice Density Pillows
- 4. Pillow Guy Down Alternative Overstuffed Pillow
- 5. Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow
- 6. OXA Spring Contour Pillow
- 7. UTTU Sandwich Memory Foam Pillow
- 8. Sable Down Alternative Pillow
- Factors to Consider When Buying a Pillow
Are You a Combination Sleeper?
The best way to tell is by observing yourself before and after you doze off. You can also ask your partner, sibling, roommate, mom, or dad if they notice you switch positions often when you are asleep.
If you feel comfortable in two or more positions, then you’re a combo sleeper through and through. Now that you’re sure about it, you have to make some adjustments. The first is to avoid the position that can cause pain and stiffness. Next, match your bed and bedding to your needs.
Easier said than done? Well, let’s start with possibly the easiest then: finding the right pillow.
Best Pillow for Combination Sleepers in 2020
As a multi-position sleeper, you can maximize your sleep by identifying your preferred positions and then shopping accordingly. The key is knowing yourself.
Pillows for combo sleepers are not created equal. So to find the right fit, you need to check the material, loft, firmness, etc. If most of the features cater to your requirements, then you’ve got a match.
The adjustability of the insert is a top factor to consider in a combo sleeper-friendly pillow. The Snuggle-Pedic Ultra Luxury Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow leads in this department. Its filling is made from shredded memory foam, the shredded part preferred for its flexibility. See, you can increase or decrease the amount of foam in the pillow to accommodate your needs.
This level of adjustability makes this model the best memory foam pillow for combination sleepers. Specifically, it’s the top pick for back/side sleepers. Yet, it actually caters to all types. You can even send your pillow to Snuggle-Pedic’s SoCal factory for free customization. Either way, changing the fill is easy breezy with a zipper added to the edge.
Fluffy yet resilient, it is supportive of your neck and head. And you won’t have to worry about toxic chemicals while lying on it. People who have allergies are safe with this hypoallergenic accessory. The memory foam used is naturally resistant to dust mites, so there is no need to treat it with harmful chemicals.
The bamboo-based Ultra-Luxury Kool-Flow outer cover is breathable, allowing air to flow throughout your slumber. This pillow costs around $150. But the company often slashes the price down to around $50. When you order one, you can enjoy free shipping and returns, a 120-night trial, and a 20-year warranty.
- Shredded Style Combination Pressure Relieving Memory Foam Pillow That NEVER GOES FLAT! Doctor Created To Provide Proper Postural Support and Pressure Relieving Technology That SELF-ADAPTS TO ANY POSITION AND KEEPS YOUR SPINE IN PROPER POSTURAL ALIGNMENT. Also Works Great With CPAP Machines. FULLY MACHINE WASHABLE PILLOW!
- Now With Zipper Removable Outer Cover To Allow For Easy Adjustment of Thickness and Comfort. Conforming Shape Orthopedically Supports the Neck For Side, Stomach, & Back Sleepers. Our Kool-Flow Soft and Luxurious, Extra Breathable Micro-Vented Cover Made In The U.S.A. with 43% Viscose of Bamboo, 56.4 percent Polyester, .6 Percent Lycra KEEPS YOU COOL ALL NIGHT LONG!
- Making America's Best Pillows for over 18 Years, 2012 Audited and MADE IN USA CERTIFIED Bed Manufacturer Using Eco-Friendly Biogreen & Certipur-US Certified Foam.
Why We Like It
- Adjustable pillow option
- Suitable for any sleeper type
- Breathable and hypoallergenic
- Adjustable shredded memory foam fill
- Caters to back/side combo sleepers
- Breathable and hypoallergenic
- Comes with a 120-night trial
- Backed by a 20-year warranty
- May be expensive for some people
- May take several tries to get the right feel
For the down lovers out there, Luxuredown Goose Down Pillow is a promising solution for multi-position sleeping. The goose down used has a fill power of 650, which is close to the 600 fill power category. This means it delivers a medium-firm feel, providing support to back and side sleepers.
Some stomach sleepers also find it soft enough as this pillow conforms well to the neck and head.
The cover is made of 100% cotton and has a 330-TC, which yields a soft feel. It’s hypoallergenic, but we recommend buying it if you’re sure you’re not allergic to down. This model is also on the pricey end. Plus, there seems to be no warranty specified.
- Luxurious white goose down pillow
- 650 fill power, medium firm pillow
- Perfect for back and side sleepers
Why We Like It
- Conforming and supportive
- Made of high-quality down
- Works for back/side sleepers
- Contains goose down with a 650 fill power
- Conforms to the head and neck
- Ideal for back/side sleeping
- Down is hypoallergenic
- Falls on the pricey end
- No specified warranty
A medium-firm pillow works well for combo sleepers, especially back/side types. It doesn’t feel too soft or too firm. This balanced support is found in the Premier Down-like Personal Choice Density Pillows. Soft is also available for those who switch to tummy snoozing. Sold in a set of two, it is a more affordable alternative to expensive models.
This pillow contains a down-like fill. Down-alternative bedding is made of natural or synthetic materials. It offers a solution to users who have asthma or are allergic to down. Wrapping it up is a super soft cotton cover with a 230 thread count (TC). All of these materials are safe for people with allergies and sensitive skin.
- Cotton, polyfiber
- Set of 2 down-alternative pillows
- 230 thread count
Why We Like It
- Has three firmness levels
- Uses hypoallergenic down-alternative fill
- A more affordable option
- Offers multiple firmness options
- Supportive enough for any sleeper type
- Safe for people with asthma and allergies
- Sold in a set of two
- Needs a break-in period
- No specified warranty
Pillow Guy gives you two pillow choices. The one to look for is the variant for back/side sleepers. But if you plop down on your belly and switch to side or back, the soft version may be better for you. With a medium loft, you can further customize this to your preference.
This down-alternative pillow is designed for people who are allergic to down or vegan or simply avoiding animal products.
Inside this pillow is a poly gel fiber that is wrapped by a soft-brushed microfiber shell. This material is hypoallergenic, so people with sensitive skin or allergies can take this on. Completing the construction is the dyed pillow protector. It’s breathable and made of 100% cotton. For easier cleaning of the cover, you can find a zipper that’s hidden under one of the sides.
Aside from being cooling, supportive, and comfortable, this sleep accessory is pretty stylish. It’s reasonably priced, too. You can avail free shipping and returns when you buy it. Pillow Guy offers financing for eligible buyers.
- 💤 HIGHEST-QUALITY GEL FIBER: Filled with our hypoallergenic Poly Gel Fiber. It’s covered in a soft-brushed microfiber shell and encased in our exclusive pillow protector dyed in Pillow Guy Blue, with hidden zipper and luxurious white satin piping.
- 💤 EXPERT CRAFTSMANSHIP AND DESIGN: Made in the USA using 280 Thread Count Single Ply Long-staple 100% Cotton Percale pillow protector with a white satin embroidered logo and piping. We use a propietary gel fiber fill which performs just like down.
- 💤 MICRONONE TECHNOLOGY: focuses on the microscopic fabric pore size, which stops allergens, microtoxins, dust mites, and bed bugs from passing through from your pillow, thereby protecting the skin and respiratory system.
Why We Like It
- Supportive and breathable
- Comes in two versions
- Reasonably priced
- Has two variants for customization
- Comes in a medium loft for support
- A hypoallergenic alternative to down
- Breathable and stylish
- Reasonably priced
- May be too hard for some people
- Can get warm due to overstuffing
The Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow is designed for combination sleepers who also have issues with night sweats. It’s cooling enough for people experiencing hot flashes or any condition that keeps their temperature up at night. With gel memory foam as filling, it can distribute heat evenly. The material is shredded to allow air circulation.
Further, the insert is compatible with multi-position sleeping. You can adjust the feel and loft by rearranging the shredded memory foam to suit your preference. The manufacturer can also send you additional fill if it’s still too soft after the adjustment. It may take you several tries to get the right configuration for you. It may not be for you if you’re not fond of experimenting.
Anyway, some users attest to how simple the adjustment was. If you’re worried that the filling will bunch after changing it, rest assured that the pillow’s gusseted sides will prevent this from happening. It’s encased in a bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester blend for soft, hypoallergenic, and cooling effect.
All of these materials are certified safe from toxic chemicals. Just look for the CertiPUR-US and GreenGuard seals to be sure. Aside from a budget-friendly price, this bedding item comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 5-year warranty.
- LOOK NO FURTHER, HOT SLEEPERS - Your search for the perfect adjustable pillow has come to an end. The Eden features our soft, gel-infused memory foam & microfiber fill blend for a cooler sleep experience and a gusseted design for edge-to-edge support.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL – Experiencing pain, snoring or tossing and turning are all signs of sleeping wrong. Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the memory foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape or sleep position. SLEEP RIGHT!
- IS YOUR PILLOW GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED? – Our Coop Home Goods Eden Pillows undergo strict, third-party lab testing and are CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality. No toxic or harmful chemicals here! IT`S 100% SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. Vegan & Cruelty Free – no animals were harmed in the making of this awesome pillow.
Why We Like It
- Breathable and adjustable
- Accommodates combo sleepers
- Comes with a budget-friendly price
- Uses shredded memory foam
- Adjustable and breathable
- Caters to your unique style
- Price is easy on the pocket
- May take time to nail the right feel
- May emit off-gassing odors
To alleviate neck pain, back pain, and even stress, the OXA Spring Contour Pillow follows the shape of your body parts to bump up support. This accessory relieves pressure to reduce pain and soreness. It allows the spine to fall into its neutral alignment. The polyester microfiber fill is strong enough to handle upto 200 pounds.
Reinforcing these functions are the 40 individually wrapped inner coils that cradle your head no matter what position you’re in. You may be wondering if the pocket springs feel awkward. The manufacturer assures you that these can only be felt through the bouncy support they provide. And, yes, you read that right. This pillow is not just soft but springy, too.
Wrapping things up is the percale weave cover with 3D spacer mesh fabric to ensure proper ventilation – this design blows air out to let warm and moisture escape when slight head pressure is applied.
If you’re a pregnant multi-position sleeper, you can also try this instead of a body pillow. It is offered with a 90-day trial. If it doesn’t suit you, you can return it and get a full refund. This product retails under $50.
- LONG LASTING SOFTNESS & RESILIENCE – This pillow can support weight over 200 pounds: an excellent choice for who likes firm supportive bed pillows. Its unique anti-flatten system makes the pillow very soft, but also supportive and durable. After 50,000 pounding cycles, it still retains 91% of its volume and 94% of its softness.
- INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION & ACTIVE CONTOUR – 40 inner coils are wrapped separately and capable of individual movement. Your head will always be perfectly cradled in any position and your spine will never need to feel any unnecessary pressure all night long.
- FAREWELL HEAT & MOISTURE – The percale weave cover with 3D spacer mesh and silky fibers grant this pillow exceptional breathability. With slight pressure from your head, warm air will flow out, taking away heat and moisture. And every time the pressure is released, fresh air will gently flow in.
Why We Like It
- Offers spring support
- Can relieve pain and pressure
- One of the most affordable models
- Contains pocket springs for support
- Relieves pain and pressure
- Can handle up to 200 pounds
- Soft and comfortable
- Super affordable
- May be too firm for some users
- The loft may be too low for tall/heavy/back sleepers
This memory foam pillow model sports an inclusive, medium-firm feel, offering support for all sleepers. On top of this, you can adjust the loft and firmness of the UTTU Sandwich Memory Foam. In this case, the manufacturer forgoes unshredded memory foam for a different kind of adjustability. So if you want a softer feel, just unzip the cover and take out the middle layer.
This contouring foam filling is made of proprietary memory foam called Dynamic Foam. Naturally, it can change its firmness depending on the temperature. It becomes softer when it’s warm and firmer when cold. Knowing this detail, you can adjust your room temperature to achieve your desired comfort level.
The Dynamic Foam is certified safe and toxic-free by CertiPUR-US. Its cover uses bamboo-derived viscose rayon, which is soft, hypoallergenic, and machine-washable. It bears the Oeko-Tex certification as well. After inflating, you should wait for 24 hours for the pillow to reach its full height. It can be dense and heavy.
This one is sold for around $50.
- RIGHT SUPPORT FOR U - Looking for a pillow with enough support? You have found the ONE for you. UTTU sandwich pillow is specially designed for sleepers who need more support than others. Medium firm level allows you to have a proper spine alignment, assuring you a steady and pressure releasing sleep.
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHTS WITH UNSHREDDED COMFORT - Unlike most of height adjustable pillows using shredded memory foam fragment, UTTU decides to bring you a custom-made comfort in one piece. You can simply change the height by taking off or adding the middle layer of UTTU sandwich pillow, without compromising the comfort and support of the whole pillow.
- UTTU DYNAMIC FOAM - The new generation high density memory foam can proactively adjust itself to match the natural curve of your head and neck, plus our ergonomic design, be ready to have a stress-free sleep every night! UTTU DYNAMIC FOAM is also approved by CertiPUR-US for quality and safety, no harmful substance will ever get near you when you sleep.
Why We Like It
- Offers contouring support
- Adjustable to cater to all types of sleepers
- Highly affordable
- Uses contouring memory foam
- Adjustable height for multi-position sleeping
- Materials are certified safe and non-toxic
- More affordable than most other models
- Heavy and dense
- May be too firm for some
Last but not least, the Sable Down Alternative Pillow is stuffed with polyester down-alternative that is responsive and supportive. It promotes neutral spine alignment, no matter what sleeping position you prefer. You can distribute its filling to suit your sleeping style. The company throws in a fourth batch of filling for better customization.
The filling is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites. Also, it’s easy to remove for regular washing. Its cover is 100% cotton-made, providing you with a soft and breathable space to lay your head on at night. If you’re prone to excessive sweating, this can reduce or eliminate that issue effectively.
This product is sold in packs of two for under $50. It’s registered with the Food and Drug Authority (FDA) as a Class 1 medical device.
- Customizable Height Adjusts to You: Contains up to one fourth more filling than similar pillows so you get more to distribute and customize your bedding. Registered With The FDA As A Class 1 Medical Device.
- Premium Plush Filling: Down-alternative stuffing adjusts to your posture and sleeping position for better support; seamlessly regains shape as you lift your head.
- High Density Cotton Pillowcase: Tightly woven 100% cotton fiber feels soft on the skin while being breathable even on hot summer night and keep your head dry whole night.
Why We Like It
- Breathable enough for a cooler sleep
- FDA-registered Class 1 medical device
- One of the most affordable options
- Comes with fourth filling for customization
- Promotes neutral spine alignment
- Registered as an FDA Class 1 medical device
- The cover is easy-to-clean and breathable
- Inexpensive and sold in packs of two
- Questionable quality control during shipping
- May be too soft without fourth filling
Factors to Consider When Buying a Pillow
To reinforce the support provided by the mattress, your pillow should put your spine into alignment. The accessory should allow it to achieve a neutral position.
If you’re a combo sleeper, your situation is a bit tricky, though. Let’s say you switch between your side and tummy. On your side, your spine should look like an S, but on your belly, it should look straighter.
One way to resolve this dilemma is to find the right loft. While lying on it, your spine should not be too bent. To avoid straining your neck, check if it curves naturally.
Understanding how each position benefits from certain pillow features can help you shop wisely.
Back sleepers can get a good balance of elevated head and naturally curved neck with a medium-firm pillow. Medium-firm also works for side sleepers, but make sure there’s enough space between your neck and the mattress. You can start with mid-level loft and a little give.
Meanwhile, stomach sleepers can maximize their position by using zero pillows. If you’re not comfortable with it, try a low-loft, soft pillow instead.
We’ve been talking about the loft in this section. For those who aren’t well-acquainted with the feature, it refers to the height or elevation of your pillow. It lifts your head and neck from the surface, supporting the former while cradling the latter.
Those who snooze on their tummy should use a low-loft pillow, if not a flat one. It’s to avoid twisting your neck upward and breaking the spine off its neutral alignment. Side sleepers can choose between low and medium loft. And high loft fits back sleepers.
For a combo sleeper, the best choice is a model with an adjustable loft.
In mattresses, firmness is determined by the arrangement of the foam, spring, and other layers within. In pillows, it is defined by the density of the filling. Mattress firmness can be influenced by the material. So is pillow firmness. But the latter is further affected by the stuffing technique used.
A firm feel means the insert is placed too tightly while a soft feel means the insert is loose.
Look for materials – specifically the filling and the fabric – that breathe. This feature will keep your pillow well-ventilated, letting the air flow freely. It’s especially helpful if you’re experiencing night sweats.
The filling can cause the pillow to warm up if it’s not breathable. Cotton, shredded latex, wool, and buckwheat are some examples of breathable insert materials.
Size and Shape
Most pillow models come in standard sizes: Full, Queen, and King, among others. Match the size to your sleeping space. For instance, queen-size pillows fit queen-size beds. It’s pretty subjective, but you also want to follow some styling rules.
When it comes to shapes, rectangular remains the conventional choice. However, pregnant women have a variety of shapes to consider. If you want better support, not only for your pressure points but also for your baby bump, check out U-shaped, J-shaped, and I-shaped body pillows.
Depending on your weight and size, you may choose a U, J, or another body pillow shape.
For back snoozers, placing a pillow under the knees can aid in proper spine alignment and strain management. Side sleepers can bump up their comfort level with a pillow lodged in between their legs. This technique can also reduce the pressure on your hips.
Stomach sleepers can slip a pillow under their belly to steer the spine into a neutral position. Make sure it’s flat and thin like the head pillow.
Now, as a combo sleeper, combining is your thing. Add as many pillows as you need to achieve comfort and support in any position you switch into.
Our reviews reveal that Snuggle-Pedic Ultra Luxury Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow is the best pillow for combination sleepers. It’s considered the best of the best since the rest are also part of the cream of the crop.
It’s chosen for its ideal mix of adjustability, luxury cover, and reasonable price. Plus, it’s the only model that is backed by a 20-year warranty.
This does not mean you’re need to choose what’s #1. After all, different combos have different priorities. The other options are just as capable of catering to your needs. To find the right fit, you may want to check their respective features against the factors to consider. Done? Which one matches your requirements, then?