Best Online Mattress Review in 2020
All mattress manufacturers promise good, refreshing sleep. You know this: the kind that puts a spring in your step, which makes obvious you woke up on the right side of the bed. But, as much as every brand wants to convince you they can deliver on that promise, some just do it better than the others.
These are the companies that prove sleep quality is mostly about waking up on the right kind of bed.
Our team continues to evaluate mattresses to give you that experience. We’ve had requests to review the Best Online Mattress Brands. Indeed, many models that have caught our attention are sold online, bed-in-a-box style. So, we’ve rounded up the best options for your convenience. Read through our list to see which one fits your needs and preferences.
In a hurry? Check out the Table of Contents to find the brands you’re interested in. You can also read the summary to get an idea of how we chose our greats. And bookmark this guide for a quick reference once you’re ready to buy a mattress.
Table of Contents
- Best Online Mattress Review – Unbiased and Updated
- Know Before You Buy
- The Verdict
Best Online Mattress Review – Unbiased and Updated
Casper sells mattresses online and in-store. But its roots are digital having started as an e-commerce store in 2014. In just a few years, the company has been able to penetrate the market. It’s become popular, especially among the younger crowd, through the Casper Mattress.
The Casper Mattress is the brand’s signature memory foam. It is made of four layers of foam with a high-density foam support base. Its zoning features align key parts of the body while its top layers relieve pressure and keep the body cool. Casper prides itself of its design and manufacturing processes, which its people implement across all products.
It’s the original mattress, together with a hybrid spring-and-foam model, that continues to sell a lot online. A queen-sized Original starts at $1,095. The hybrid version in the same size is just a little bit higher at $1,195. In terms of quality and cost, the Casper Mattress is the best online mattress out there. We also recommend the Wave, Casper’s luxury mattress line, if you have more cash to burn.
- 4-layers of premium foam construction for support, breathability, and bounce
- Breathable open-cell foams have tiny pores to let hot air escape, keeping you cool at night
- Combination of softer foam for shoulder region and supportive firm foam for core and hip area
Tuft & Needle is characterized by a millennial startup story. Two software engineers were dissatisfied about their mattress shopping experience. So they tested an easier way–for them–to buy a bed. Their experiment happened to strike a chord among other mattress shoppers. And so, they decided to turn their experiment into a full-fledged e-commerce experience.
The T&N Original Mattress is the result of their innovation. Its main offerings lie in those layers. A couple of calibrated layers that promote universal comfort balance pressure relief near the top and strong support at the base. The cool cover also wicks away heat, so you don’t have to worry about getting sweaty in bed.
Yet, for us, the best part of the T&N Original Mattress is the T&N Adaptive® foam. It’s what its name says. The foam conforms to the shape and size of its user. If you apply more pressure on it, the mattress will provide more support for your body. Aside from the excellent online shopping experience, this has got to be the company’s top strength.
- Queen Mattress: Award winning mattress constructed with T and N Adaptive Foam provides a bouncy yet supportive feel perfect for side, back and stomach sleepers, and offers great pressure relief and "localized bounce" so you won't disturb your sleeping partner; Selected “Number 1 Mattress Brand” in 2015 and rated “Best Buy” in 2016
- Standard Pillow: Unlike others who use shredded, recycled foam, the T and N Pillow is constructed with durable Adaptive Foam and is made to Sleep Cool with infused graphite & cooling gel
- Adaptive Foam: An advanced high grade foam that sleeps cool, is just the right mix of “not too soft, and not too hard”, and offers everything you need for a good nights sleep; Others use latex and memory foam, outdated materials that cause you to “sink in and feel stuck” and “sleep hot"
Brooklyn Bedding is a family-owned small business that saw its beginnings on Amazon. When their sales took on a larger scale, the two founder-brothers created their website to sell directly. In 2008, Brooklyn Bedding was among the first to attempt the bed-in-a-box concept. The company also claims to manufacture beds for unnamed private labels.
Backed with years of experience and expertise, the brand commands high expectations, especially from new customers. So, how does the Brooklyn Signature fare against other choices? For one, this hybrid mattress is the company’s bestseller. It comes in three variants: soft, medium, and firm. We actually think this is thoughtful because it customizes the experience based on firmness needs and wants.
At the same time, Brooklyn Signature is not complacent when it comes to engineering. The mattress has 5 layers of foam to ensure support, motion isolation, deep compression support and body contouring, responsiveness, and cooling. Starting at $599, this option is one of the most affordable deals on the market.
- Made in the USA, the Brooklyn Signature is expertly designed with breathable materials, patented cooling technology and up to 1024 individually encased coils for a superior sleep experience
- Available in three comfort levels to fit your individual sleep style. (A medium firmness may be for you if you are a combination back, stomach and side sleeper; prefer a balance between contouring support; prefer the feeling of sleeping above your bed's top layers; or are a couple that needs to strike a balance with your comfort preferences.)
- Certi-Pur US certified and meets the highest standards for quality
This direct-to-consumer online mattress company differentiates itself not only by its products but also by its impact. Leesa is known for its trademark tagline “Rest on.” As one of the younger companies, it is proud of its social contributions to over 1,000 nonprofits since 2014. So if your search for a mattress goes deeper than just construction and materials, comfort, and other characteristics, check out Leesa.
The Leesa Mattress is the popular multilayer foam created by the company. It has three main benefits: temperature regulation with a perfect hug and bounce thanks to its 2-inch premium top layer; improved pressure relief and body contouring due to the 2-inch memory foam in the middle; and a multitasking support layer courtesy of its 6-inch dense core foam.
Side sleepers will like how the Leesa Mattress relieves the pressure off the shoulders. Also, you’ll love how it hugs your body while allowing heat to escape. The mattress helps in reducing back pains, so you’ll get to enjoy a more comfortable sleep. Leesa’s pricing is also competitive, with the smallest bed being sold at $595.
- Our mattress: Great things come in small packages. The Leesa mattress in a box is beautifully designed with three premium foam layers for cooling, body contouring and pressure-relieving core support. With the all-new Top layer of high Quality foam, you’ll experience enhanced pressure relief and better rest. The Leesa mattress offers a universal adaptive feel, which adapts to your body type while you sleep, regardless of your sleeping style.
- Cooling comfort: Our exclusive high quality foam's microcell structure promotes airflow while still providing the perfect amount of hug and bounce. So, you sleep cooler and get the comfort and support you need.
- Made in USA: The Leesa mattress is designed, assembled and manufactured in the USA with high-performance foams.
Nectar is one of the most creative among the best online mattress brands. It offers an irresistible 365-night trial period. Plus, your purchase comes with a lifetime warranty. That is if you don’t return it during or after the trial period. The company also covers the return costs. The incentives that Nectar provides its customers to reflecting its youth and vibrancy as a brand.
And Nectar is indeed a young brand. It was only founded in 2017. And yet, it has already served 300,000 people. This online mattress company has become popular among users. That’s probably partly due to its philosophy of affordable comfort. The Nectar Mattress is sold at $399 minimum. With $899, you can already order a Cal King.
Another Nectar advantage is its focus on manufacturing one mattress model. Sure, Nectar also sells bases and bedding. But it is able to design its other products around the Nectar Mattress. But the real star is the mattress, which sports a gel memory foam. Imagine sleeping on this really soft memory foam mattress, which also has a sturdy base.
- #1 FASTEST GROWING BRAND IN THE U.S. - Recognized as the fastest growing e-commerce retailer by Internet Retailer, Nectar is a memory foam bed-in-a-box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper. Nectar is part of the Resident House of Brands.
- TWO FREE PREMIUM PILLOWS INCLUDED - And with every mattress purchase, you also receive two free Nectar Premium Pillows. They will be found within the mattress packaging. ($150 value)
- INDUSTRY LEADING 180 NIGHT TRIAL- You can try Nectar risk-free for 180 night and return it if you are not 100% happy (180 night trial is for orders on Amazon only). This is nearly 3 months longer than the industry standard.
Purple’s origins can be traced from two engineers making cushioning tech incredibly better. These engineers are also brothers. And over the years, you can say they had been perfecting the science of creating advanced cushioning products. Until they started applying their knowledge and skills to mattresses. The chief deal about their creation is the super stretchy material they use.
We’ll leave the sciencey stuff to the brothers and their team at Purple. But what that means for us is that their beds are scientifically molded to be soft. People love the Purple Mattress because it cradles your body parts depending on the pressure they produce on the foam. There’s a layer that is basically a grid, which adapts to the unique shape of your body for that ultimate pressure relief.
The open grid design also allows for improved breathability and motion isolation. And while it’s super soft, the Purple Mattress is durable. But if you’re worried about wear and tear, it comes with a 10-year warranty. Of course, its prices are also affordable, as the company wants you to be “fiscally comfortable” as well.
- ULTIMATE KING BED - Our king size mattress distributes equalized pressure and supports proper spine alignment. Together, these give you the ultimate sleeping experience for better recovery and relaxation.
- MOTION ISOLATION - Purple Innovations designed this king sized mattress using sleep science and leading technology to create a special motion isolation so you don’t feel movement from others sleeping near you.
- FREE-FLOW AIR CHANNELS - The Free Air Flow technology with breathable channels neutralizes temperatures and won’t trap heat like memory foam or latex. Our mattress neutralizes temperatures to keep your body perfectly comfortable.
Saatva sells luxury mattresses that are still more affordable than their traditional, in-store counterparts. The New York-based company based its name on the Sanskrit word “sattva”, which means pure. It is the parent firm of the eco-friendly mattress brand Loom & Leaf and natural latex brand Zenhaven.
The Classic Saatva Mattress is its original offering. It’s a hybrid innerspring mattress that is handcrafted with 5 main premium features. The pillow top with organic cover cotton cover feels clean and comfortable. The dual coil system enhances contouring, responsiveness, and motion isolation. While the steel coil support makes the mattress long-lasting while releasing unwanted heat.
But our favorite is the Spinal Zone Technology, which employs two layers of support targeting the middle area and the lower back, respectively. The Saatva Classic comes with 3 firmness options, without any price change: Plush Soft (3), Luxury Firm 5-7), and Firm (8). Prices start at $599.
Started as a family business, Bear is backed by 25 years in the mattress business. What’s outstanding about this brand is that it focuses not only on sleep but also on health, fitness, and recovery. It’s known for its Bear Athletes and discounts for military members and their families.
The Bear Mattress is the company’s most popular product. It is made of graphite-gel memory foam that scores high on contouring, cooling, and support. It’s 10 inches thick (while the Bear Hybrid Mattress is 14 inches).
Every Bear mattress also contains Celliant, which is made of fiber that converts the body’s natural energy into infrared light. It then emits IR into your muscles and tissues. This process is said to promote overall wellbeing and speed up recovery time. Celliant products are determined by the Food and Drug Authority as medical devices. The Twin bed is sold at $540.
Allswell specializes in bringing hybrid mattresses to bedrooms. And it believes in serving more people with great prices than benefitting fewer with steep prices. You can say Allswell creates crowd pleasers, and that is attested to by customers of the Allswell Luxe Hybrid.
The Allswell Luxe Hybrid sports just the right firmness (5.5-7), multilayer foam, and soft plush top. All of its 12-thickness can fit in a box and be delivered to your doorstep. A Twin-sized mattress costs $345.
Helix is another popular, well-loved online mattress brand. What sets it apart from the rest is its wide range of mattress options. It has the luxury and organic lines on top of the original. And we actually agree with its desire to provide customized experiences among many types of sleepers. On its website, you can take a sleep quiz that will match your style with a mattress.
Helix divides its main mattresses according to firmness level (on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being softest and 10 being most firm). Helix Sunset and Helix Moonlight have a soft feel, while Helix Twilight and Helix Dawn fall on the firm side. The medium feel mattresses are Helix Midnight and Helix Dusk.
While Midnight is the most popular, our team is united in saying the Helix Dusk is the best hybrid mattress on our list. It features the Helix Dynamic Foam which contours the body and recovers nicely when you get up. While the Midnight supports side sleepers, the Dusk caters to back and stomach sleepers.
Know Before You Buy
Finding the best online mattress should not be difficult. However, there are a few things you should know before you buy:
Construction & Materials
When we reviewed the layers that make up a mattress, we’re looking at its construction. Each layer is also usually composed of different material. Altogether, the form and substance of your mattress define how durable and comfortable it can be.
Firmness & Feel
Firmness levels are measured on a scale from 1 to 10. Level 1 is the softest you can get and Level 10 is the most firm. The medium firmness is usually preferred and is dubbed the universal comfort.
The ability of the mattress to isolate motion and reduce its transfer across the surface is what people usually refer to as motion transfer. If you’re a light sleeper or the other half of a couple, this might be a dealbreaker for you.
Edge Support & Sinkage
Sagging at the edges of the bed occurs over time because this is where people tend to sit. If the bed has poor edge support, sinkage will appear and may affect your overall comfort and sleep quality
Sleeping cool is important for most people because parts of the body can get warm at night. At any rate, nobody doesn’t want to wake up all sweaty and tangled in sheets. Different people have different needs in these terms. So we recommend you do additional research on the subject.
Most of the online mattresses reviewed here are affordable. When it comes to $$$, you should not be eliminating more expensive options by default. Sometimes, there are premium features added to the product. We’ve told you about the pricing scheme of the best mattress models, so this shouldn’t be much of a head-scratcher.
Online mattress brands understand the value of offering free shipping. Free trials are also important because most customers wouldn’t be able to “try out” a mattress in-store. Warranty, financing, and other incentives are also provided to enhance the overall customer experience. All of the mattresses we mentioned have varying combinations of these perks.