Best Memory Foam Mattress Reviews in 2019
What draws you toward a memory foam mattress? Perhaps it’s the conforming properties. Great lumbar support. The plush, medium, or hard feel. The quick way it bounces back to its original shape after a body has distorted it a bit. What about the cooling innovation that has changed the way people sleep on a mattress type that used to sleep hot?
No matter the reason, there’s one more thing for you to deal with. You have plenty of options now. Sometimes, this situation can be overwhelming. Plus, you definitely do not want to end up with an expensive bed that fails to meet your needs and expectations.
We searched far and wide for verified, authentic, and unbiased reviews. Then, we extracted only the important information that you need in making a smart decision.
Table of Contents
- Best Memory Foam Mattress
- 1. The Loom & Leaf Mattress
- 2. The Nectar Mattress
- 3. The Puffy Lux Mattress
- 4. Bear Mattress
- 5. Tempur-pedic TEMPUR-Adapt
- 6. Plushbeds CoolBliss Luxury Memory Foam Mattress
- 7. Plank Mattress
- 8. The Layla Mattress
- 9. The Casper Mattress
- 10. The Muse Mattress
- 11. Amerisleep AS3
- 12. Alexander Signature Series
- 12. Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam
- Know Before You Buy
- Sleeper Type Compatibility
- Why Buy A Memory Foam Mattress
- Why Skip Buying A Memory Foam Mattress
- The Verdict
Best Memory Foam Mattress
The 5-pound memory foam inside this mattress is eco-friendly, cooling, and free of stinky smells. This is the promise of Loom & Leaf, a Saatva brand, to sleepers. But why go green, exactly? Is it just because it’s trendy? Of course, one main benefit relates to your overall health. Because your bed is made with almost natural and organic materials, it releases little to no harmful elements in your room.
In addition, an eco-friendly memory foam mattress is built using sustainable practices. Suppliers and manufacturers are thinking more responsibly about production processes. Less carbon footprint is the goal. So, by extension, you’re also helping Planet Earth. And you’re being a conscious consumer.
But not all green mattresses are created equal. What makes the Loom & Leaf Mattress stand out? Apart from its high-density memory foam, it also sports a quilted organic cotton cover, gel and breathable support layers on top, and added support layers at the base. This design translates to a comfortable, temperature-regulated slumber. Your spine receives support and your body gets pressure relief at the right points (close conforming).
Loom & Leaf is for you if you want firmness options: choose between Medium (5.5) and Firm (8). Side and back sleepers of all sizes, as well as back pain sufferers, would also benefit a lot from this close conforming memory foam.
- QUALITY MATERIALS- Engineered with 4 layers including premium, high-density memory foam that provides support while contouring and conforming to your body.
- SLEEPS COOL- The Designed to sleep cool with a non-toxic, proprietary cooling gel layer.
- ECO FRIENDLY- Memory foam mattressesdesigned to be as eco-friendly as possible, with an organic cotton pillow top, eco-friendly foam, a natural thistle flame retardant, and an antimicrobial treatment.
Nectar is arguably the most popular bed-in-a-box memory foam mattress. Its multiple layers of foam are built to provide a good balance of firmness, support, response, and cooling. All sleepers can find comfort from its medium-firm feel (6 on the scale). Best of all, it is an affordable, high-quality option.
But what makes it the best memory foam mattress for your money?
Let’s start with its breathable base layer that’s thick and dense enough to reinforce the support and contouring layers. On top of it, you’ll find layers of adaptive memory foam and gel memory foam. The first responds to your body and recovers quickly when you get up to maintain support. The second one cradles you at the right body parts for proper alignment while you sleep cool.
Further, the quilted gel memory foam lets you feel fresh and lifted. These layers are wrapped in a Tencel cooling cover that wicks away heat. Even as a relatively new brand, Nectar has made a name for being one of the most reliable mattress makers online.
Get yourself the Nectar Mattress if you like snoozing in a plush memory foam bed. The $899 King design should be enough for couples in search of a dependable premium mattress with a nice price.
- #1 FASTEST GROWING BRAND IN THE U.S. - Recognized as the fastest growing e-commerce retailer by Internet Retailer, Nectar is a memory foam bed-in-a-box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper. Nectar is part of the Resident House of Brands.
- TWO FREE PREMIUM PILLOWS INCLUDED - And with every mattress purchase, you also receive two free Nectar Premium Pillows. They will be found within the mattress packaging. ($150 value)
- INDUSTRY LEADING 180 NIGHT TRIAL- You can try Nectar risk-free for 180 days and return it if you are not 100% happy (180 day trial is for orders on Amazon only). This is nearly 3 months longer than the industry standard.
Experience relief from stress and strain when you lay on the Puffy Lux Mattress. The original Puffy Mattress is already as great as it is. You have 3 layers of foam that cater to back, side, and stomach sleepers. Cooling technology and climate-adaptive materials combine to keep you from sleeping hot. Its pressure relief properties are on point. And contouring and support are balanced.
But the Puffy Lux Mattress boasts a higher profile. It targets pressure relief across your body and actively supports and contours your body while you sleep. So whatever position you sleep in, you’re being cradled where it matters the most. The Body Adopting Dual Cloud Foam definitely makes it an exclusive experience. It’s “puffy” where you need it to be, removing pressure points.
Prices of the Puffy Lux Mattress start at $1,445. There’s a 101-night trial from the time it’s shipped free to your doorstep. If you decide it’s the right fit, you can avail of the product’s lifetime warranty.
Purchase this model if you’re into a mattress that’s really plush (5 to 7) yet contouring at the same time. It’s also a smart investment if you’re a lightweight sleeper or a couple.
What makes the Bear Mattress unique? We think Celiant technology makes it exceptional. This Food and Drug Administration-classified medical fabric is found in Bear’s cover. Celiant is clinically proven to convert your body’s natural energy (heat) into light energy (infrared), sending it back to your body to energize and refresh you for the next day.
But there’s more. The high-density foam provides great support for the body while making the mattress durable. The responsive transition foam takes care of contouring while the graphite gel memory foam performs the cooling part.
The Bear Mattress also has a firm feel (7.12) which enhances support for back and stomach sleepers. Your spine is aligned in either position, preventing back pains. Additionally, you won’t have to worry about sleeping hot with this one.
Average and heavyweight sleepers, as well as athletic and active ones, are going to love this mattress. Add those who are seeking faster recovery from injury and other physical condition. Further, its prices are some of the most budget-friendly on the market. You can test it out for 100 nights. And in case you decide to return it, Bear will shoulder the return requirements and costs.
This luxury memory foam mattress definitely snags a spot on our list. First of all, it stands at 11 inches and offers multiple firmness options. Talk about support that’s inclusive. You can choose from Soft (3), Medium (5), and Firm (7). It also comes with a hybrid model for those seeking the familiar feel of coils. The TEMPUR-Adapt mattress encases over 1000 premium spring coils in foam for enhanced support.
If not done right, all-foam mattresses can turn into sweat beds. But the TEMPUR-Adapt features a dual-layer SmartClimate cover that does away with heat. It keeps the temperature neutral during warm and cold months. It does better than many of its all-foam competitors in this regard. Another thing to check out is its ability to isolate motion. It reduces motion transfer significantly, allowing for uninterrupted sleep between couples.
What’s great about owning a TEMPUR-Adapt is that you can look forward to sleeping on a long-lasting luxury mattress. The product can even outlast the company’s 10-year warranty. Not 100% committed? You have 90 nights of sleep trial to make up your mind. The price may turn off some potential owners. But if you have the cash to burn, make it count by buying this model.
- 11-Inch mattress: medium-feel foam mattress.
- Support layer: temperature support layer offers advanced adaptability for truly personalized comfort and support.
- Comfort layer: temperature-features comfort layer has a soft feel and works in combination with other materials to support and relax.
Earning a spot in this guide is another luxury memory foam mattress: the PlushBeds CoolBliss Luxury Memory Foam Mattress. This product is GreenGuard certified, which means it’s been tested for low emissions. This is good news for your overall health. As for your sleep health, it’s about to get an upgrade with the help of pressure-relieving memory foam built on top of supportive latex foam.
In extending the life of any mattress, the base plays a big part. CoolBliss’ high-density foam base does not disappoint. Living up to its name, this model also features a breathable layer beneath the latex layer to maximize internal ventilation. Now, the body-conforming latex is placed near the surface for next-level comfort. Capping it off is the gel memory foam that relieves pressure and wicks away heat really fast.
We recommend the CoolBliss to people looking for the powerful combination of soft memory foam and supportive latex. You should also be on the market for luxury models since PlushBeds mattresses fall on the pricey end. Free shipping and return pickup are available in case things do not turn out well. And you have 100 risk-free nights to be sure.
- Medium-soft firmness
- Luxurious stretch cover with cooling enhancements
- 3 inches of 4 lb soft Gel memory foam, 2 inches of medium 100 percent natural Latex, 2 inches of convoluted 2.5 lb HD high density support foam, and 5 inches of 2.5 lb HD high density support foam
The Plank Mattress is Brooklyn Bedding’s take on the minimalist sleep approach practiced in the Far East. It’s flat, firm, and flippable, designed to take the pressure off your circulatory system. Your blood flow improves while your lower back gets the best support ever. And you breathe more oxygen as you snooze.
The real star, of course, is the 7-inch high-density foam that ensures durability and stability. For deep compression, the TitanFlex foam layer delivers the firmest sleep experience. This is enhanced by the quilted cover that provides zero lofts. If you want some loft, you can flip the bed to use the quilted bottom. Both sides have a cooling effect to ensure comfortable slumber all night.
Plank will end your search for a really firm mattress. It’s a true match for those who lean toward the heavy side. The firmness options are harder and harder, so find something else if you’re expecting some plush from your mattress. But it definitely sounds like a treat for those who love the extra firmness as you can just flip the bed to adjust the comfort level.
Shop the Plank Mattress in Queen at $999. Rest assured you get the Brooklyn Bedding customer experience with a 120-night trial, a 10-year warranty, and free shipping and return terms.
- The Plank offers a firm and flat surface for a netural spine position that is better for your back and overall posture
- Flippable design with the top having a .75" quilted top layer giving you an ultra-firm sleep experience, or flip the mattress and a 1.5" quilted layer creates minimal loft giving you a firm sleep experience
- Engineered with 7" of high density base foam and 2" of our firmest transitional TitanFlex foam that allows for deep compression support and durability
With this model, the copper-infused cooling system works together with memory foam to provide you with restful, pain-free sleep. Copper has heat-absorbing properties, keeping your body from soaking in sweat while you sink in the Layla Mattress.
Those who went through surgery or suffering from back pain are also in for a treat. Do you move too much in your sleep or sleep lightly? Bump up the comfort level with this bed’s excellent motion isolation capacities. Combination sleepers may find the Layla Mattress so comfortable, especially with the flippable firmness in the picture. Select the soft or firm side depending on your needs and preferences.
The price is also one of the best you can have for a premium memory foam mattress. You can already own a Layla Queen Mattress for $999.
But while Layla backs its products with a 120-night trial and a lifetime warranty, it has a more complicated return process. You have to donate your bed to a charity and send proof of receipt to the company. You can then claim your refund with the shipping fee deducted. The charity donation is in keeping with Layla’s sustainability and social responsibility drive. So don’t be surprised.
- $100 OFF - Clip the Coupon Below Before Adding to Your Cart and SAVE $100 on your purchase
- COPPER INFUSED MEMORY FOAM - This copper infused cooling system mattress provides cooler sleep and variable support great for all sleeping positions
- FLIPPABLE FIRMNESS - Flip for comfort. Layla is a medium soft on one side and firm on the other so you get two firmness levels in one mattress
Another bed-in-a-box mattress that is made for all sleeper types comes from Casper, a reputable online mattress brand. It only uses 1.5-inch thick memory foam yet provides medium firmness or universal comfort.
What sets it apart is the Zoned Support layer that applies various firmness levels to different parts of the bed. You get soft support for your shoulders. Meanwhile, your hip and core areas are supported by firmer foam. These zoning features enable your spine to take on its natural alignment. The heavier parts of your body do not sink into the mattress the same way the softer parts do.
Moreover, an open-cell design ensures better airflow and thus better cooling. The memory foam is placed beneath the top layer, allowing for maximum response. You can upgrade to the hybrid model if you want strong edge support and some lift.
Designed and manufactured in the United States, the Casper Mattress is covered by a 10-year warranty. Like the other models, you can test it out for a certain number of nights–100 to be exact. Free shipping and returns are available. Shop the original design starting at $595.
- 4-layers of premium foam construction for support, breathability, and bounce
- Breathable open-cell foams have tiny pores to let hot air escape, keeping you cool at night
- Combination of softer foam for shoulder region and supportive firm foam for core and hip area
The Muse Mattress by ViscoSoft does away with the usual complaint against memory foam: it tends to overheat. If you’ve been wary about using this mattress design before, perhaps the cooling performance of this model will help you change your mind. Or if you’ve been on the lookout for something that really gets your aversion to heat, this is the one to check out.
Let’s break down why the Muse Mattress is cool, literally. The Diamond Breeze is the phase-changing cover that absorbs the room’s ambient temperature. The memory foam layer retains the traditional qualities of conforming, motion isolating, and pressure relieving. However, the brand jazzes things up by infusing it with gel. This improved top layer results to better airflow and heat dissipation.
But there are other features that make this bed a top contender. The 8-inch base is dense and durable, allowing for great edge support. Sleepers of all shapes and sizes will benefit from this. More so, you can remove and wash the cooling cover. You can do the same for the base cover.
The Muse Mattress comes with a 120-night trial period, a 10-year warranty, and free shipping. A twin-size version costs $650.
- MOST MEMORY FOAM MATTRESSES PROVIDE ONLY 1 FIRMNESS LEVEL THAT OFTEN DOESN’T CATER TO YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS OR PROVIDE ENOUGH SUPPORT, throwing the spine out of alignment and causing BODY ACHES & PAIN. The Muse Cooling Gel Memory Foam King Size Mattress offers 3 LEVELS OF SUPPORT to choose from – SOFT, MEDIUM & FIRM – to customize your mattress & ensure you get THE BEST NIGHT OF SLEEP POSSIBLE. Take our signature MATTRESS QUIZ to discover which level will work best for you.
- WHILE TRADITIONAL FOAM MATTRESSES RETAIN HEAT, OURS IS THE ONLY BED MADE WITH OUR EXCLUSIVE COOLING, PHASE-CHANGE FABRIC, which ABSORBS HEAT & FEELS COOL TO THE TOUCH. Our memory foam mattress features 3 HIGH-PERFORMING LAYERS for a balance of comfort & support, with a BREATHABLE, TEMPERATURE-REGULATING TOP LAYER for all the benefits of memory foam plus COOLING GEL, so you avoid heat retention & sleep cool. Our WASHABLE COOLING COVER is made with unique DIAMOND BREEZE YARNS for extra cooling!
- AFTER HEARING COMPLAINTS about other memory foam mattresses BREAKING DOWN & FORMING DEEP, PERMANENT DEPRESSIONS AFTER JUST A FEW MONTHS, we resolved to design ours differently. Crafted with the HIGHEST QUALITY FOAMS & FABRICS, our 12" mattress – that's 2" THICKER THAN MOST – features ULTRA SUPPORTIVE CENTER LAYERS TO prevent sinking and a STRONG, DENSE FOUNDATION for additional durability. Comes with our signature 120-NIGHT SLEEP TRIAL & limited 10-YEAR WARRANTY, plus FREE SHIPPING & RETURNS.
11. Amerisleep AS3
Adding to the list of eco-friendly memory foam mattresses is Amerisleep’s mattress collection. The company dishes out different models for specific needs and preferences. But the bestselling one caters to all sleeper types: Amerisleep AS3. It features Bio-Pur and HIVE comfort layers combined with a Celiant cover. You can only expect that your sleep will not only be cool and comfortable but also rejuvenating.
Amerisleep mattresses come in all firmness options. It’s AS3 that nails the medium feel, which is ideal for side and combo sleepers. The Bio-Core foam makes up the base. It’s plant-based, not petroleum-based, so it’s safe for you and the planet. The affinity transition layer is responsible for giving you that “feels-like-I’m-floating” experience. On top is the Bio-Pur foam, which is also partially constructed using plant materials.
A memory foam mattress that conforms to your body while keeping you cool and comfortable is a dream for many. But the AS3 brings it closer to reality. There’s more to love about it. It fits multiple kinds of frames. You can have access to a 20-year warranty when you purchase it. That’s on top of a 100-night trial and free shipping and returns. Get the Queen version for $1399.
- 12" profile offering a versatile support for people who change positions while sleeping
- 3" Bio-Pur memory foam cooling layer, 2” Affinity layer, 7" Bio-Core sag-free support layer
- Celliant-infused cover clinically proven to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer
Nest Bedding offers made-to-order mattresses for affordable prices. But that isn’t just the reason its Alexander Signature Series made this list. This model strikes a harmonious balance between support and pressure relief. It’s not too firm. But it also sinks just right. Stomach sleepers may find this dynamic a dream come true. It’s best to read about what other people have experienced in terms of firmness and size.
The Alexander Signature Series features 3 multiple layers. The 7-inch base foam sports a luxury firm feel. A 2-inch transitional foam layer sits on top of it. Then, a 2-inch gel memory foam is placed close to the surface. Your body comes in contact with a blend of quilting foam and organic cotton. This same cover wraps the entire mattress, so the downside of the bed is also plush.
As one of the leading online mattresses brands, Nest Bedding offers several value-adding services to its buyers. You will have access to free and fast shipping, a lifetime warranty, and financing. However, returns are handled on a case-to-case basis, so we can’t really say how smooth it will be for you. A queen version of this bed sells for $1,299.
One of the most reviewed memory foam mattresses on Amazon is this one from Zinus. The Ultima Comfort Memory Foam may be last on our list, but it’s definitely not the least. It packs a lot of comfort and support in its 10-inch build. Speaking of thickness, it also comes in 6 inches, 8 inches, and 12 inches.
Its 3 layers of high-quality foam work hard to give you a good, restful sleep. The 3-inch memory foam cradles your body without suffocating it. Relieving your pressure point is the job of the next layer, a 2-inch foam later. These two are supported by a 5-inch high-density foam. Zinus is also proud to use natural plant oils to replace traditional petroleum.
Get your memory foam mattress shipped to you for free, with a 100-night trial to use. Returns are best talked about with a customer service agent. But the 10-year limited warranty is included in the fine print. Just make sure to register your mattress on Zinus’ site.
- Conforming memory foam comfort and support for a better night's sleep
- Mattress layers include: 3 inches Memory Foam, 2 inches Pressure Relieving Comfort Foam, and 5 inches High-density Base Support Foam
- Only the Highest Quality of Foam-Foam is CertiPUR - US Certified for durability, performance, and content
Know Before You Buy
- Contouring – That feeling of the bed hugging your body? And then your body leaving an impression on the bed after you get up? Those are the results of the contouring or conforming feature of memory foam. When the mattress conforms to your body, it is following its natural shape. This allows your spine to rest in proper alignment.
- Sink – Memory foam is softer than, say, innerspring. It usually registers medium firmness on the scale (1 being softest and 10 being firmest). A typical memory foam mattress is not too soft and not too hard. This results in balanced support for most sleeper types. You won’t feel like you’re drowning in bed or being lifted above the clouds.
- Motion Isolation – All-foam designs are well-known for reducing motion transfer significantly. This is the desired effect of couples with one partner being a light sleeper and another moving constantly even in sleep.
- Squeaky Silent – Actually, memory foam mattresses do not squeak at all. This makes them a better option than innerspring beds if you tend to hate bedroom noise.
Types of Memory Foam Mattresses
These types are differentiated by the materials used or included in the making of the mattress.
- Traditional Memory Foam – The most common type of memory foam uses polyurethane, a kind of polyfoam. Polyurethane is widely available, so no wonder it is the go-to material for manufacturers.
- Gel-Infused Memory Foam – Many of the best memory foam mattresses in this guide sport gel-infused memory foam. The gel is quite the newcomer in this process but has quickly become popular due to its cooling properties. It upgrades the traditional kind, which tends to sleep hot, by reducing heat.
- Copper-Infused Memory Foam – Thin copper wire lines beads that are then inserted into the memory foam. Copper has known heat absorbing qualities. But it’s only been recently that it’s become material for memory foam construction. Some makers choose copper instead of gel to deliver the cooling promise of their product.
- Plant-Based Memory Foam – The most eco-friendly among the materials used in memory foam mattresses combines petrochemicals and botanical components. It also employs an open-cell design to ensure breathability. Good airflow means good ventilation, which helps the mattress to sleep cool.
Sleeper Type Compatibility
Some models can cater to almost all types of sleepers. But in truth, no one mattress type can serve everyone. There are still ideal solutions for people’s back problems. And so the same goes with sleeping positions. That said, let’s see how compatible memory mattress foams are with the 3 main sleeper types:
- Back sleepers, rejoice! Memory foam supports your spine in its natural curvature. This means more pressure relief and greater overall comfort. The Loom & Leaf Mattress, for example, is ideal for this sleeper type. But in general, sink or lift is comfortable and supportive.
- Side sleepers are prone to experiencing pain off their pressure points. Memory foam will help in reducing the pain and improving your sleep health. Your shoulders will definitely need some gentle loving, too. And your pelvic area will require firmness to support all that rotating. Memory foam mattresses are advanced enough to evenly distribute your weight and remove the pressure that comes with this position.
- Stomach sleepers may feel themselves sinking in the bed, which can be all right. But it can also seem like drowning with the wrong memory foam mattress. The Bear Mattress is one example of a good memory foam bed for those who snooze on their tummy. But nobody will condemn you for avoiding this mattress type altogether.
Why Buy A Memory Foam Mattress
Finding the sweet spot when it comes to comfort should not be a mystery. If you really want a memory foam mattress but you’re a stomach sleeper, go for the hybrid version. Base support should balance the surface softness at the least.
If you need to recover from injury or illness, being bedridden can be frustrating. But sleeping in a memory foam mattress should not be scary. It can even be exciting because of its superb contouring property.
Back and stomach sleepers are also ideal candidates for buying this mattress type. Just make sure you review the firmness level. Other than reviewing the details, asking around, and searching thoroughly online, the steps toward owning a memory foam mattress are easy and convenient for everyone.
Why Skip Buying A Memory Foam Mattress
If you’re a hot sleeper, ditch the idea of sinking into a memory foam mattress. You might end up swimming in your sweat afterward. That sounds like an exaggeration, but it’s not. Not all memory foam mattresses are created equal. Some hot sleepers can really get uncomfortable and wake up at night. We suggest trying to sleep on someone else’s gel-infused bed to test how your body responds to it.
Another thing. Memory mattresses can be difficult to move around. If you rearrange your bedroom furniture often, this might be a problem soon.
But the one that wins all of our votes is the eco-friendly brand. These days, it is just as important to create products that are sustainable for people and the planet. Together with great price points, Loom & Leaf by Saatva nails this requirement. And so it is the cream of the crop. But the rest also have their respective strengths.