Best Mattress Under $1,000 in 2020
Looking for a mattress that fits your budget?
In our previous article, we provided you with a list of the Best Mattress Under $500. It may not contain what you’re looking for, though, if you find yourself browsing this guide.
Don’t worry because the following Best Mattress Under $1,000 reviews have a good balance of all-foam and hybrid designs. This is a whole new list as well, so hurray for more options!
Take a look at the Table of Contents for an overview of your choices. And check out our buying guide for helpful tips on how to buy the best mattress.
Table of Contents
- Best Mattress Under $1,000
- Know Before You Buy
- The Verdict
Best Mattress Under $1,000
For Layla Sleep, being the best awake person starts with the best sleep. So it strives to perfect the bed that helps to make this dreaming sleep possible. Its efforts are summed up in the Layla Mattress, a flippable memory foam mattress that costs only $999 (Queen). Its top layer is infused with copper, which has cooling properties. Are you ready to get to know our rank #1?
Layla’s memory foam layer contains copper, the second most conductive element in the world. It is meant to draw heat away from your body while you sleep. It’s this model’s tool to beat the heat-trapping mechanism memory foam is known for. So the latter won’t sleep hot, and you won’t get sidetracked from the deep compression it generates. Further, the support layers do their job of supporting.
As for nailing the firmness you desire, this design makes it easy. It features a soft and firm side. Just flip the bed to the feel you prefer. The pressure relief is great on both ends. It’s an ideal setup for people suffering from back pain. This bed also offers optimal comfort for side sleepers. For its price, this is a 2-in-1 mattress you shouldn’t pass on.
Layla is also big on donating discarded mattresses to charities. When you order a bed and decide that it’s not for you, requesting a return within the 120-night trial period triggers the process. The company will pick up the mattress, issue you a full refund, and ship the product where it’s needed. If you like this risk-free idea, you’ll like the lifetime warranty included in your purchase more.
- COPPER INFUSED MEMORY FOAM - This copper infused cooling system mattress provides cooler sleep and variable support great for all sleeping positions
- FLIPPABLE FIRMNESS - Flip for comfort. Layla is a medium soft on one side and firm on the other so you get two firmness levels in one mattress
- THERMOGEL INFUSED COVER - Provides excellent heat dispersion and a cooler night's sleep. Thermo Gel reacts to body temperature to keep your body from getting too warm while you sleep. No more jolting awake in the middle of the night when you get too hot.
Nectar, a bed-in-a-box brand, boasts a memory foam mattress that is soft, conforming, and on-point about its sink-in feel. This model is the Nectar Mattress. It delivers the 3 features in balanced proportions. It also proves to be easy on the pocket, retailing at $799 (Queen, no add-ons). Catering to the 3 most common sleeper types with just the right firmness adds to its appeal.
This 5-layer all-foam bed is topped by a gel memory foam with a quilted cover. Contouring is already felt here, without you breaking a sweat. Enhancing cooling and conforming functions is the second layer of gel memory foam. It sits above the Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam, a resilient and bouncy layer with impressive support capabilities. A breathable foam base and a bottom mattress cover provide stability and support.
All of the foams used here are certified by the prestigious CertiPUR-US. The Nectar Mattress scores 5.5 to 7.5 on the firmness scale. This is medium or universal comfort–not too soft, not too hard. With the sink-in feel that does not suffocate, a stomach sleeper can reap the most benefits from this bed. But other sleepers are welcome to try it.
This mattress is quite a steal as it remains affordable without skimping on high-quality materials. The gel isn’t cheap. And the cover is made of a breathable fabric called Tencel. It also works with any kind of foundation, so you can fit it in the one you already have. The company is generous with shipping and returns (both are free), home trials (last 365 nights or one year), and warranty (forever).
- #1 FASTEST GROWING BRAND IN THE U.S. - Recognized as the fastest growing e-commerce retailer by Internet Retailer, Nectar is a memory foam bed-in-a-box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper. Nectar is part of the Resident House of Brands.
- TWO FREE PREMIUM PILLOWS INCLUDED - And with every mattress purchase, you also receive two free Nectar Premium Pillows. They will be found within the mattress packaging. ($150 value)
- INDUSTRY LEADING 180 NIGHT TRIAL- You can try Nectar risk-free for 180 days and return it if you are not 100% happy (180 day trial is for orders on Amazon only). This is nearly 3 months longer than the industry standard.
Combining marketing genius and engineering know-how, Casper broke through the market with smashing success. It introduced the Casper Mattress in 2014 and has gained more than a million customers since then. Its product is popular on online marketplaces like Amazon and appeared on Time magazine. The company has launched other mattress models and sleep products, such as pillows and furniture. What makes this online mattress brand such a hit?
The short answer to that is the original mattress. This all-foam model is not made a bestseller for anything. It accommodates all types of sleepers. From top to bottom, the layers are working hard. The open-cell top layer delivers breathability and bounce. A high-density memory foam lies underneath, taking charge of pressure relief. The weight-distributing transition layer follows it. And the base layer with contour cuts aims for zoned support.
We specifically love the zoning features as they target pressure points and promote correct spine alignment. Wrapping things up is the zip-off premium knit cover, which you can wash and clean easily. These components are BS 7177 (low hazard) compliant and CertiPUR-US certified. Overall, you get a bed with a firmness level of 6. There is minimal motion transfer, but nothing too distracting for couples who aren’t light sleepers.
Before we forget, the queen edition of this mattress costs only $995. It comes with free shipping and returns perks. You are entitled to a full refund if you realize it doesn’t suit you within the 100-night trial. But if it does, then you can get access to the 10-year limited warranty that backs it.
- Casper’s award-winning bed-in-a-box mattress offers 12" and 4 layers of premium foam, plus zoned support for comfort and alignment
- Designed for all body types, our Zoned Support system features three areas of support, for optimal spinal alignment, no matter your height or weight
- Breathable open-cell foams have tiny pores to let hot air escape, keeping you cool at night
By way of its founders, Purple has a history of providing effective cushioning in many industries including the shoe and mattress industries. It rides on their 40 years of experience and expertise. This is why when the company was created and the Original Purple Mattress was introduced, the market paid attention. And now we have more than one Purple beds to choose from. Here, we’re focusing on the original.
This model is the first to sport the brand’s signature Smart Comfort Grid system. Using Hyper-Elastic Polymer, this tech relaxes under pressure points while gently supporting the rest of your body. This alleviates soreness in areas like shoulders and hips. Enhancing the feel and responsiveness of the Purple Grid is the soft, high-density foam below it. And then a firm, high-density foam base gives the bed its structure.
The latter two foams are made of polyurethane, certified by CertiPUR-US. The Purple Grid works three ways: targets pressure points reduces motion transfer and promotes airflow. It’s a must to improve breathability in all-foam designs. Purple may be onto something in this regard, but it’s not quite there yet. Anyway, the feel is neither soft nor hard. If sleeping hot is not an issue, go for this one.
You can order a Queen for only $999. Your sleeping position will find rest and comfort from this bed. It is backed by a 10-year warranty. You can expect it to be delivered to your doorstep without having to pay a single cent on shipping. Take note that your 100-night trial starts from the date of purchase. Return requests can be made within this period.
- ULTIMATE QUEEN BED - Our queen mattress distributes equalized pressure and supports proper spine alignment. Together, these give you the ultimate sleeping experience for better recovery and relaxation.
- MOTION ISOLATION - Purple Innovations designed this queen sized mattress using sleep science and leading technology to create a special motion isolation so you don’t feel movement from others sleeping near you.
- FREE-FLOW AIR CHANNELS - The Free Air Flow technology with breathable channels neutralizes temperatures and won’t trap heat like memory foam or latex. Our mattress neutralizes temperatures to keep your body perfectly comfortable.
Leesa came along with other mattress brands that popped up this decade. It might have gotten lost in the shuffle, but fortunately, it has carved a name for itself. For one, it is one of the socially conscious companies. Contributing to nonprofits is part of its thrust. This signals that it’s not just about making money. It’s also about making an impact.
This brand integrity goes hand-in-hand with a high-quality yet affordable mattress that it sells. For $995, you can already own a Queen Leesa Mattress. This all-foam design is top-billed by a 2-inch premium layer that hugs your curves and gives off a nice bounce. Right in the middle is the 2-inch memory foam layer that is responsible for contouring the body and relieving pressure points.
At the bottom, the 9-inch high-density foam reinforces the contouring support provided by the 2 layers. Overall, the sleeping surface dissipates heat instead of trapping it. Shoulders and spine are supported. Those suffering from back pain can expect relief when they hit the sack. We deem this bed the most beneficial to side sleepers. Couples or anyone sharing their bed with someone else would love that it isolates motion significantly.
Like other bed-in-a-box brands, Leesa comes in medium firmness to provide universal comfort. You may ask for home delivery and setup to accompany your free shipping options incentive. A 100-night risk-free trial is also in the offing, which is long enough to adjust to the mattress and assess if it’s the best for you.
- Our mattress: Great things come in small packages. The Leesa mattress in a box is beautifully designed with three premium foam layers for cooling, body contouring and pressure-relieving core support. With the all-new Top layer of high Quality foam, you’ll experience enhanced pressure relief and better rest. The Leesa mattress offers a universal adaptive feel, which adapts to your body type while you sleep, regardless of your sleeping style.
- Cooling comfort: Our exclusive high quality foam’s microcell structure promotes airflow while still providing the perfect amount of hug and bounce. So, you sleep cooler and get the comfort and support you need.
- Made in USA: The Leesa mattress is designed, assembled and manufactured in the USA with high-performance foams.
Allswell is a brand we’ve already featured as the best mattress under $1,000. You may read the review here. This brand is also a consistent performer among hybrids, which it specializes in. Its models are not just in demand in guides like this one. Users favor it because it sells its foam-and-spring combos at competitive rates. And we know that hybrids are often the pricier mattress type.
This competitive edge is based on the company’s mission to charge less and serve more customers. Such is the promise that comes with the Allswell Luxe Hybrid Mattress. For instance, a queen edition retails at $645. A 12-inch beauty, it dishes out a quilted memory foam top layer, then a polyfoam comfort layer sitting atop a pocketed coil core. The quilted cover and the spring base are both breathable.
As if it’s not yet done is impressive, the company ensures it’s using materials that are safe and non-toxic. The foams in the Luxe Hybrid are certified by CertiPUR-US. The firmness registers at 5.5 to 7, still within the acceptable comfort level of many sleepers. The surface features a luxury plush feel like while the individually wrapped springs push back for support. The latter also reduces motion transfer.
The perks included when you purchase this bed is free shipping, a 100-night trial, and a 10-year limited warranty. You can also request a return if you decide this one doesn’t suit you. Allswell will shoulder the cost of pickup and shipping of the discarded mattress.
Bed-in-a-box brand Tuft & Needle is another consistent contender in the best mattress for the money category. It has provided us with a hardworking performer through and through. Mixing high-quality materials with affordable prices is something this brand does well. The T&N Adaptive Foam Mattress is a shining example of this effort. But what makes this mattress model special? Let’s find out.
The not-so-secret reason for this bed is the Adaptive Foam. This technology is credited for its ability to adapt to the pressure exerted by your body on the foam. So heavy-hitters like shoulders, hips, and back are cradled with a combo of sink-in and pushback. Then the rest of your body parts are gently supported. This feature is akin to the zoned support found in other models.
Supporting the Adaptive Foam is the foam base that’s strong and durable. These materials are certified by CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD. Further, this design includes cooling components like graphite and gel. These are responsible for drawing heat away from your body. A cooling cover enhances this capability. And a little bounce is present to tickle the fancy of couples.
At $595, isn’t this the best queen-size mattress under $1,000? It’s such a steal that clicking on the ‘Buy’ button should feel right. It comes to you in a box compressed through free shipping. In case of a return, it will also be picked up for free. You’ll get a full refund as long as you upmake the 100-night trial. This model is backed by a limited 10-year warranty.
- PROVEN: We're not shy to say, people love us; This mattress has 1 of the highest percentages of 5 star reviews across mattresses on Amazon; We like to keep things honest and transparent, that goes for our business model, our products, and our reviews
- PROPRIETARY ADAPTIVE FOAM: Constructed with freshly poured T and N Adaptive foam, this mattress provides a bouncy yet supportive feel perfect for all sleeping positions and also allows us to box the mattress for quick shipping without compromising quality
- NOT HOT, NOT COLD, JUST RIGHT: Our high grade foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam; The T and N Adaptive foam sleeps cool, sleeps comfortable and offers pressure relief, plus you won’t disturb your sleeping partner
Last but definitely not least, we have Amerisleep. It doesn’t just add to our list of best mattress under $1,000, it has an eco-friendly memory foam bed to introduce. This is no other than the brand’s bestseller: Amerisleep AS3. Inside it is the Bio-Pur and HIVE comfort layers. Covering them is the Celiant fabric, which can aid in the recovery of active people.
The Bio-Pur foam, partially made of plant materials, serves as the top layer. Then the affinity transition layer delivers an experience that feels like floating. Underneath is the Bio-Core foam, which is partially plant-based as well. This is the base where the strength and stability of the bed come from. All of these materials combine to give you a medium feel.
Conforming to your body while keeping you from sleeping hot, this bed is such a dreamboat of a bed. Start with a twin version for a promo price of $899. A 20-year warranty shall be within reach when you purchase it. Add to this a 100-night trial and free shipping and returns. The AS3 works with all foundation types.
Know Before You Buy
Things You Need to Know Before Buying A Mattress
Construction & Materials
As our recommendations show, having a below $1,000 price tag doesn’t mean the materials used aren’t up to par, or decent at the least. At this price point, you can find high-quality all-foam designs. If you’re lucky–which you are because you found this guide–you can even own a hybrid with your budget.
Well, it’s what we’ve been highlighting in this review. So just a reminder: quality comes first. Even if a mattress is expensive (above $3,000!), it doesn’t always mean its excellent quality is engraved in stone. Other factors may have contributed to it being overpriced.
Also checkout: Best Mattress for the Money
Firmness & Feel
Medium firmness is what you’re looking for when you seek a bed that’s less than $1,000. Many online mattress brands are starting their retail prices near this watermark. And these brands usually offer one to several options only. Multiple firmness options are rare. That’s why Layla tops our list.
This factor helps address the issue of sleeping hot than traditional memory foams are known for. Either spring is added to improve breathability or cooling components like gel, copper, and graphite are used to wick away heat from the body.
Edge Support & Sinkage
This is a big deal on 2 fronts. The bed is spared from premature sinkage with strong perimeter support. This, in turn, guarantees long years of comfortable sleep. The other benefit is the stability you experience when you roll over to the edge in your slumber.
Couples and anyone sharing their bed with others will appreciate exceptional motion isolation in any bed, no matter the cost. This is because the movements of their bed partners will be contained. And without such interruptions, they can sleep peacefully thanks to it.
Assume free shipping from online mattress brands and Amazon, but double-check. Make sure you know the terms for the following as well: returns, sleep trial, and warranty. Be thorough now, so you can skip the stress later.
We hope this also expands your interest in what constitutes the best mattress. You’ll probably shop mattresses several times in your life, for yourself, your kids, and even guests (those guest rooms need beds!).
If this has helped you make a better, smarter decision on which model to buy, feel free to share it with those who need it. And bookmark phatfusion.net for more sleep education and best mattress updates.
Till then, from your partners in finding the best mattress and achieving the best sleep.