For those who suffer from scoliosis, a good night of sleep is hard to come by. Having to compensate for your spine for an entire day, your back is in so much pain that you may not be able to sleep for more than a few hours at a time.
Scoliosis is a condition that results in an abnormal curvature of your spine that can resemble a “C” or an “S” in shape. As a result, a person can be uncomfortable, feel pain in their back, or the pain can be so harsh that it is debilitating.
Table of Contents
5 Best Mattress for Scoliosis – Comparison
Why Do I Need a Special Mattress?
The right mattress can be the difference between being in pain all night and having a restful night of sleep.
While there is not one specific model out there guaranteed to reduce your back pain, there are a few things you can look for when selecting a mattress to help you get the best sleep possible.
It is not recommended that people with scoliosis sleep on their stomachs. Doing so could cause the rib cage to put too much pressure on your heart and lungs, which could result in permanent damage.
A firm mattress is suggested for people suffering with scoliosis, as sleeping on your side on a softer mattress could end up causing even more pain as your spine sinks into the cushioning during the night. In addition, sleeping on your back can also cause pain as it is not properly supported by some mattresses. Having a firm mattress that supports the abnormal curve created by scoliosis will offer support to the places your back needs it most.
Best Mattress for Scoliosis Reviews
The most budget-friendly option available, the Resort Sleep Queen offers a thick mattress that is both firm and supportive, making it
While size does not always indicate quality when it comes to mattresses, if you have scoliosis a thick mattress offers substantial support, which is important when it comes to getting a good night of sleep. The 10-inch thick mattress includes a 7.5-inch layer of support foam and is topped with an additional comfort layer that is 2.5-inches. In all, the thickness of the mattress means that it will work to keep your spine both straight and supported all night long.
This option is also firmer than other mattresses currently available as a result of the thick support layer as well as the comfort layer being more responsive than other memory foam options out there. Many of the reviews left by users of the mattress who have a variety of back issues, from scoliosis and sciatica to rheumatoid arthritis, speak to the comfort and support they found from the mattress.
The mattress is covered by a 20-year warranty and is CertiPUR-US certified, meaning it is not made with any harmful chemicals and is also flame retardant.
In addition, the company throws in a free memory foam pillow with every purchase which, according to many reviews, is a good quality pillow and extremely comfortable.
The mattress is not suggested for side sleepers however, as the comfort layer may be too thin for their liking. Some other reviews suggested the mattress may not be firm enough to truly alleviate all of your back pain. While the mattress is rated a medium on the firmness scale, it is one of the softer options available for those with scoliosis.
- Perfect Contour: Queen-size visco bed in a box cradle you in a deluxe layer of 2.5-inch Premium Air Infused Visco-Elastic Foam on top of an extra thick High Density Firm Support Base; 10-inch profile design just like a luxurious hotel
- Cooling Innovation: Breathable, plush & superior quality construction; The bed has optimum conforming comfort while helping relax and cool your body. Reduces stress with a 5-star deep sleep
- This stretch knit cover is soft and breathable and will keep you cool and comfortable, giving a Medium-Firm feel while resting
Not just for sufferers of scoliosis, this is one of the most popular mattresses currently available on the market today. The mattress itself is
The mattress is extremely firm, which both back and side sleepers will enjoy as it offers more support.
Made from a combination of foams that take the best qualities of latex, memory foam and PU foam mattresses, this mattress has two layers that work together to support and relieve pressure points while you sleep. The bottom 7-inch thick layer is made up of supportive foam and works to keep your spine in alignment as you rest. This is topped with three inches of a comfort foam blend, made of gel elements that adapt like memory foam but offer more give.
Previous reviews left about this mattress from people with scoliosis are quite positive, with some claiming their back pain went away the instant they laid down on the mattress.
However, some users found the mattress to actually be too firm. The company has since worked to make the mattress softer in order to benefit side sleepers.
The foams used in the mattresses are all CertiPUR-US certified, are made in the United States, and are fireproof without the use of chemical flame retardants. Instead, a fabric “fire sock” wraps around the entire mattress for protection.
The mattress sleeps cool as a result of the gel and charcoal used within the comfort layer, which both work to decrease heat and body odor.
In addition, it not only comes with a 100 day comfort guarantee, but is additionally backed up by a 10-year warranty.
- Proven: Over a million people choose us every night. In fact, 95% of our customers keep and love their T&N Original Mattress, Featuring our own proprietary T&N Adaptive foam, the Original Mattress is universally comfortable for all sleeping positions
- Proprietary foam: Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night
- Cool sleeping: Our foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam, the T&N Adaptive foam helps pull away heat with cooling graphite and gel beads, wrapped in our breathable plush cover to help keep you cool and comfortable
Made as a hybrid of latex and spring mattresses, the Eco Terra offers users the best parts of the two types of beds, including motion isolation, full support from springs, and bouncy comfort from latex. It is highly suggested for both back and side sleepers.
The majority of the mattress is made up of hundreds of individually-wrapped steel coil springs. Because they all work independently of each other, they can adapt to fully support the abnormal curve created by scoliosis. In addition, the network of individual coils allows the mattress to stay firm throughout the night rather than sagging. The company also made sure the sides of the mattress stay nice and firm by placing higher-gauge springs along the edges, which aids in the process of getting in and out of bed.
The layer of springs is topped with a layer of latex foam that contours to your body in the same way that memory foam does without you sinking into the bed. It offers both springy comfort as well as support throughout the night without losing its shape.
Despite all of this, the mattress is not as firm as the Tuft and Needle, which may be an issue for your if you are looking for firm support.
Reviews of the mattress suggest that it offers full body support while also contouring to your individual body shape, resulting in a peaceful night of sleep for the user. While it is more affordable than a pure latex mattress, the Eco Terra still carries a hefty price tag and could cost you as much as $1,000.
Made in the United States from certified organic cotton, the mattress features a 10 year warranty as well as a 30 day return policy.
- THE COMFORT DIFFERENCE | The 11" Eco Terra Mattress has a 3" plush layer of 100% natural talalay latex, a premium individually wrapped, fabric-encased coil core, a wool fire barrier, and a 100% organic cotton cover
- LUXURIOUS ALL-NATURAL LATEX | Our delightfully responsive, 100% natural latex molds to your body naturally for unbeatable comfort and support
- PERFECT BALANCE OF FIRMNESS & COMFORTABLE | The Eco Terra latex mattress is luxuriously soft, with just the right amount of firmness and support for a deep night’s sleep - our medium comes in at 5.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, while our medium-firm is between 7-8, so you’ll feel cradled and supported, no matter your sleep position
Made from four layers of copper-infused memory foam and base foam support, the copper works to alleviate the pain associated with scoliosis by releasing antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. The 10-inch thick mattress also sleeps cool, which not only ensures a comfortable night of sleep but also promotes blood flow and circulation, a positive aspect for those suffering from scoliosis.
In all, there are four layers within this mattress. There is a
Despite all this firmness and support, the mattress is rated medium on the firmness scale.
The mattress is well suited for side sleepers, who will like the softer side, as well as back sleepers and stomach sleepers alike, who may prefer the firmer side.
Lined with THERMOgel technology, the cover is also meant to keep you cool as you sleep.
The company offers a lifetime warranty with this mattress, as well as a 120-night sleep trial.
5. Nectar Sleep
The 11-inch thick foam mattress is comprised of a total of four layers for support and comfort. The base is made of a six-inch-thick layer of high-density foam for
The foam used in the mattress is also ideal for edge support, allowing users to easily get in and out of bed without much pain involved in the process.
In addition, the mattress features minimal motion transfer throughout the night, a good feature for people who sleep with a partner and are easily woken by movement.
A fabric known as Tencel is used for the cover of the mattress. Tencel is highly absorbent, very soft, and extremely cool. The company will replace the cover at any point in the life of the mattress, free of charge.
The mattress is only available at one firmness level, about a six on a scale of one to ten. However, reviews of the mattress suggest that it is both comfortable and supportive, adapting to your body over time. Heavier sleepers will enjoy the several layers of foam, and the mattress is suggested for all sleeping positions.
The company offers a “forever” warranty and sleep night trial of 365 nights!
- #1 FASTEST GROWING BRAND IN THE U.S. - Recognized as the fastest growing e-commerce retailer by Internet Retailer, Nectar is a memory foam bed-in-a-box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper. Nectar is part of the Resident House of Brands.
- TWO FREE PREMIUM PILLOWS INCLUDED - And with every mattress purchase, you also receive two free Nectar Premium Pillows. They will be found within the mattress packaging. ($150 value)
- INDUSTRY LEADING 180 NIGHT TRIAL- You can try Nectar risk-free for 180 night and return it if you are not 100% happy (180 night trial is for orders on Amazon only). This is nearly 3 months longer than the industry standard.
While any of these mattresses would be a good choice for someone with back pain resulting from scoliosis, most medical professionals do suggest finding a mattress made from latex for the best support for your particular condition.
For those who suffer from scoliosis, finding a good mattress can be life-altering and provide a solid night of pain-free sleep where one did not exist before. Regardless of which is your preferred sleeping position, a firm mattress is highly suggested for the best results. This type of mattress offers enough structure and support to keep your spinal curvature from worsening while also providing the comfort needed to sleep well.
For those who sleep on their backs, a firm mattress will give support where you need it most – the lumbar and thoracic areas. This type of mattress will offer to contour around your hips while keeping the rest of your body from sinking downward.
Side sleepers may want to consider a less firm mattress, as one that is too firm will not be able to provide relief from the pressure points side sleepers have around their shoulders and hips. It is suggested that people who sleep on their side try to sleep on the side of their body that has the higher curvature, which is also referred to as the “convex” side.
People with scoliosis may wish to consult with their doctors concerning their sleeping habits as well, as some doctors may suggest placing pillows in particular places to help correct your spinal curvature. However, it is not suggested that you try this on your own without speaking to your doctor first.