Best Firm Mattress Review 2019
Table of Contents
- Top 8 Best Firm Mattresses
- Firm Mattress Buying Guide
- The Verdict
Who needs a firm mattress? The short answer is it depends. The longer one made us write this guide. This mattress type benefits certain sleepers, and we’d like to explore that essential point here. Needs and preferences are considered. And so are pieces of anecdotal evidence and customers’ personal experiences.
We aim to help you make an informed decision before buying a bed. After all, it’s an important investment. You’ll use it for ⅓ of the day. The ideal mattress should let you sleep soundly and wake up pain-free. You should only spend your hard-earned money on the best firm mattress.
Top 8 Best Firm Mattresses
The Brooklyn Bedding Aurora Mattress combined comfort and support without compromising one or the other. The TitanCool technology applied on its cover helps moderate temperature, allowing you to sleep cool. The individually encased coils yield the right support for all sleeper types. Moreso, it comes in 3 firmness options: Soft, Medium, and Firm. For those who are on the heavy side, as well as back and stomach sleepers, the firm version should provide enough support.
This design is affordable, ships free nationwide, and is available for financing. The materials used are certified by CertiPUR-US.
- Made in the USA, The Brooklyn Aurora offers our coolest take yet on affordable luxury - the advanced technology of titancool provides Elite cooling comfort in a mattress expertly crafted with breathable materials, immediate response Technology and individually Encased Coil support for exceptional pressure point relief.
- Available in three comfort levels to fit your individual sleep style. (A medium firmness may be for you If you are a combination back, stomach and side sleeper; prefer a balance between contouring support; prefer the feeling of sleeping above your Bed's top layers; or are a couple that needs to strike a balance with your comfort preferences.)
- Certi-pur us certified and meets the highest standards for quality.
This all-natural latex mattress from PlushBeds brings you the classic latex feel. It is highly reliable for pressure relief. With medium to medium firmness feel, it not only supports your back. It also reduces pressure points to give your shoulders, hips, and knees rest. This Talalay latex mattress emits no harmful odors, so you can snooze safe and sound.
Its price points are also tough to beat. Shipping is free within the United States.
- Made in the USA - Our RV mattresses are crafted with pride in the USA, ensuring the highest product quality standards throughout the manufacturing and distribution process.
- Superior Pressure Relief - 100% Natural latex provides better distribution of body weight by reducing pressure points, providing forgiving support for your shoulders, hips, back and knees.
- No Fillers and Non-Toxic - Our RV sleeper natural latex foam is pure meaning it has no fillers or toxic additives, emits no harmful gasses or odors and uses the highest quality talalay latex.
Amerisleep is relatively young in the mattress industry. But it’s making itself known by providing memory foam mattresses that use innovative materials. By way of introduction, Amerisleep Memory Foam Mattress is something you should check out. It is designed to support back and stomach sleepers ideally through the queen model.
This memory foam contains a 3-inch Bio-Pur memory foam and a 9-inch Bio-Core foam. They are for cooling and support, respectively. Bio-Pur is created with patented VPF technology. VPF generates zero emissions due to its closed chamber design. Bio-Pur is healthy, responsive, and cooling. Amerisleep replaced petrochemicals with plant-based oils and extracts and ensures its manufacturing processes are friendly to the planet.
Meanwhile, the Celliant cover is a Food and Drug Administration-classified medical device. Celliant is a technology that converts body heat into infrared. The infrared is then driven back to the body, so it can recover fast or rejuvenate easily.
- 12" profile offering a medium firm support for back and stomach sleepers
- 3" Bio-Pur memory foam cooling layer, 9" Bio-Core sag-free support layer
- Celliant-infused cover clinically proven to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer
The flippable firmness feature enables sleepers to adjust to a more comfortable feel. With the Layla Mattress, you get this benefit and more. One side is medium soft and the other is firm. The bed has labels for both sides, so it’s easy for you to test out the feel you prefer (white for soft and gray for the firm).
Copper-infused memory foam is placed above a polyfoam base to maximize the hard feel. For the softer feel, the core is made up of convoluted foam. This is finished off by another copper-infused memory foam. Copper is known to have heat-absorbing properties. It’s also clean and supportive, allowing for deep compression.
You can get a Layla Mattress for a low price plus a 120-night sleep trial. The company will pick up and donate your mattress to a local charity on the off-chance that you decide to return it within the trial period.
- COPPER INFUSED MEMORY FOAM - This copper infused cooling system mattress provides cooler sleep and variable support great for all sleeping positions
- FLIPPABLE FIRMNESS - Flip for comfort. Layla is a medium soft on one side and firm on the other so you get two firmness levels in one mattress
- THERMOGEL INFUSED COVER - Provides excellent heat dispersion and a cooler night's sleep. Thermo Gel reacts to body temperature to keep your body from getting too warm while you sleep. No more jolting awake in the middle of the night when you get too hot.
There is much to rave about what’s inside the Ghostbed Luxe Mattress. Starting with the high-density base, it gets better as you go up. The Ghost Bounce Layer is a Ghostbed creation. It feels responsive like latex and conforming like memory foam. At the same time, it recovers fast enough from the sinks and impressions your body has made on the bed.
The gel memory foam at the core offers further cooling capabilities. Yet, the star here is the Ghost Ice Layer. It uses Ghost Ice Fabric, a proprietary Japanese formulation that weaves cooling properties into the yarn. That helps in generating consistent coolness as soon as you hit the sack. On top of this is the medium firmness that falls within 5.5 to 6 on the scale.
To enjoy that perfect balance of cool and comfortable, you should definitely consider getting a Ghostbed Luxe Mattress. Its price points are affordable, to begin with. Sleep night trial lasts for 100 days. And it is tested and declared free of harmful chemicals like mercury, lead, and other heavy metals.
- 7 LAYER COOLING TECHNOLOGY: Ghost Ice Fabric, ½ inch of cooling fiber, 1" of gel memory foam quilted into the fabric, Ghost Ice Surface, gel memory foam, Ghost Bounce Layer, support core
- CUTTING EDGE SLEEP TECHNOLOGY: Ghost Ice Fabric is a propriety Japanese formulation where cooling properties are woven into the actual fibers of the yarn. The Ghost Ice Surface is phase change technology that captures and stores heat scientifically creating a cool sleeping environment. The Ghost Bounce Layer is exclusively ours - responsive like Latex, contouring like memory foam, yet resilient. The Ghost Bounce layer is as close as you can come to floating without leaving the ground.
- INSTANT COOLING: 2 Stages of Next Generation Cooling. Our Ghost Ice Fabric and Cooling Layer keeps you cool as soon as you touch the mattress and stays that way all night long.
Luxury bed brand Nest Bedding creates a budget mattress to cater to a wider market. This is how you get the FLIP Mattress. It is named as such because it sports two firmness sides. One is soft and the other is firm. A visco gel support foam is combined with 660 gauge caliber coil to deliver adjustable firmness.
Both sides are breathable and comfortable. They are ergonomically designed to support back, side, and stomach sleepers. All of the materials are CertiPUR-US-certified.
While the product is relatively new, it is already racking up positive reviews online. Of course, there’s more room to improve and prove itself. During your 30-night sleep trial, you can request to return the mattress easily if you’ve purchased it on Amazon. Don’t worry about counterfeit products. Nest Bedding specifically crafted this budget bed with luxury feels for its Amazon customers. It comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
- HYBRID GEL FOAM AND COIL - We've combined cooling Visco Gel support foam with 660 gauge Caliber Coil grants two sided firmness in the first flippable hybrid mattress online.
- TWO LUXURY FEELS - Two breathable and ergonomically supportive sleep surfaces in a medium and firm designed for side, stomach and back sleepers. Sleeps comfortable and cool, with built in airflow and cool sleeping fabric.
- AMAZON-EXCLUSIVE - We know it's hard to find a trusted brand on here. Made in the USA using CertiPUR-US certified foam. Easy returns through Amazon during the sleep trial.
Are you tired of 100% memory foam? Do you want the bounce of innerspring without sacrificing comfort? A hybrid mattress could be right for you. And you should include the Lucid Latex Hybrid Mattress in your options.
There are 3 main materials found in this design. First, you have the individually encased steel coils that provide support at the base. Next would be the dual transition support layers, which lay beneath a layer of blended latex and memory foam. The result is a bed that conforms to your body’s curves while keeping you from sinking toward the bottom. A two-toned cover gives it a sleek finish.
Perimeter support is excellent while the central zone has the right balance of compression and cushioning. Motion transfer is zero to little, which is great news for light sleepers. Some verified buyers reported about little off-gassing when they released the bed from its box. Let it expand in a well-ventilated room to let the chemical smells out.
The Lucid Latex Hybrid Mattress is one of the cheapest models you can find on the market. It is backed by a 10-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
- 6.5-inch, high-quality steel coils are individually-wrapped to increase airflow, isolate motion, and conform to individual sleep styles
- Plush memory foam layer is topped with natural latex for the perfect combination of sink and spring
- Perfect mattress for those who want the comfort of memory foam with the hypoallergenic and breathable properties of latex
An all-foam mattress featuring 3 layers of premium foam, the Casper Essential packs comfort, support, and durability in one product. The breathable top ensures you sleep cool, doing away with the familiar “sleep hot” label of memory foam. In the middle, the memory foam cradles pressure points and curves. Adding support and stability is the base foam. An upholstery-grade cover in rich charcoal color makes the mattress last for years.
In addition, the dark-colored cover hides spills and stains. Although if you want to keep it clean and spotless, you can remove and wash the zip-off cover easily. It is certified by OEKO-TEX, which checks for harmful chemicals in materials and products. Another certification worth mentioning is the one from CertiPUR-US. This means the mattress is made without chemicals that damage the ozone.
Ownership of the Casper Essential Mattress entitles you to a 10-year limited warranty. Casper recommends the use of its foundation and metal frame. It comes at an entry-level price and is cheaper than other models from the brand.
- Our 11" bed in a box mattress offers Casper comfort in a streamlined design. 3 layers of premium foam for support, breathability, and bounce
- Easy-to-clean upholstery-grade zip off cover for added durability; Free of harmful, ozone-depleting chemicals and emissions.
- Please note: any new product will expand within minutes and can have a mild scent upon unboxing that will dissipate in a few hours in a well-ventilated room
Firm Mattress Buying Guide
Things to Consider
Firm mattresses are longer lasting than their soft counterparts because of the support materials that are built into them. The best firm mattresses are less prone to sag and sink. You won’t have to worry about claiming that warranty or looking for a replacement in years.
While memory foam is known for the experience of sinking, most firm mattresses elevate you instead. The lift you’ll feel is described as akin to floating in the clouds, which is many people’s idea of the best snooze.
If you sleep hot, look for a mattress with excellent cooling properties. Gel memory foam is often found in plush beds. But the firm mattresses in our guide have improved in their treatment of this important factor. Go back to the various technology used by the models we mentioned, including gel memory foam and copper-infused foam.
Is a firm mattress right for you? There are 2 ways to answer this. First, you need to consider your size and weight. Second, you have to know what sleeping position you favor during slumber.
Read our article on Best Sleeping Positions for Better Sleep.
Based On Size
There is no definitive body weight to determine lightweight, average, and heavyweight users. However, we can agree that there is a range where each size more or less fits. The table below shows you the Below Average, Average, and Above Average weights with their corresponding ideal firmness.
The 1-10 scale is used, with 1 being softest and 10 being firmest.
Weight Group Needed or Preferred Firmness Level By People in the Group
|Below Average (<130 Pounds)||4 (Medium Soft)|
|Average (130 to 230 Pounds)||5 (Medium) to 6 (Medium Firm)|
|Above Average (>230 Pounds)||7 (Firm) and Higher|
Based On Sleeping Position
Back sleepers get the most out of a firm mattress because their spine takes on its natural curvature. Those who want some softness can opt for a bed that cushions you in the center. Or you can buy a firm mattress topper to maintain the support while achieving a bit of coziness.
Stomach sleepers benefit from a firm mattress because it doesn’t sink like a memory foam mattress. This provides them with adequate support that will not translate to neck and shoulder pains later.
Combination sleepers can also enjoy the ease of rolling over in a firm bed. However, motion transfer performance depends a lot on the model.
Side sleepers may find it challenging to have support for their curves while sleeping on a firm mattress.
If you’re not really sure whether it’s the right time to replace your old mattress, read What is the Best Time to Buy a Mattress? [Complete Guide 2019]. But if you’re absolutely positive you need to get a firmer mattress, let us know which ones from our guide have piqued your interest.