Creating a safe space for your child starts at the time he or she is born. This is not only shown through intangible things like thoughts, words, and actions. It is also applied in choosing objects in the nursery. It is for this purpose that we are outlining our Best Crib Mattress Review this year. Every year, new products arrive. Or some brands outdo the others.
It can be tricky for parents, first-timer and veteran alike, to sort through all the Amazon and such reviews. But for us, it isn’t. We have been reviewing mattresses for adults, such as the Best Hybrid Mattress in 2020. It’s just part of the natural progression of reviewing crib mattresses.
Table of Contents
- Best Crib Mattress
- 1. The Newton Crib Mattress
- 2. Little Dreamer Crib Mattress by Moonlight Slumber
- 3. Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Mattress
- 4. Milliard Hypoallergenic Mattress
- 5. Breathe Easy Baby Crib Mattress
- 6. Colgate Eco Classica III Eco-Friendlier Crib Mattress
- 7. Dream On Me Twilight Spring Coil Mattress
- 8. Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Mattress
- Know Before You Buy
- The Verdict
Best Crib Mattress
Newton was built by a father of 3 as he was inspired and challenged by the sleep issues typically experienced by parents and their babies. The company created a crib mattress to ensure a safe and healthy environment for the little ones. It has enjoyed significant press coverage, including this quick feature on the New York Times.
Consumers have also been raving about the Newton Crib Mattress. It has a 4.7 stars rating on Amazon. So, why is this product earning all the raves, even topping our list? We have one word for you: Wovenaire.
Developed in Japan, the Wovenaire is a porous block of food-grade polymer shaped in water. It does away with foam, latex, or spring, so your baby won’t be exposed to some mattress weaknesses like off-gassing and toxic materials. There are also no allergies that latex, in particular, causes. And sweatier newborns can sleep coolly on this crib mattress.
Moreover, the Newton Crib Mattress stands out because it is washable. You can simply remove the Wovenaire from the zip-off casing to clean both. The casing can be washed as with other fabric, but only by hand. Use a showerhead or hose to wash the Wovenaire. To top it all off: it can be recycled. So, it’s an investment you can make for your growing family.
- SAFETY: Our innovative Breathe-Thru Technology allows air to flow freely and is independently proven to reduce the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing, even when your baby starts to roll over at night.
- COMFORT: Temperature regulating to prevent overheating, eliminate sweaty backs and improve sleep quality.
- LONG-LASTING, 2-STAGE & WASHABLE: Designed for both infants and toddlers and 100% washable at home.
Moonlight Slumber is popular among parents via its premium products. Based in Illinois, the company offers various crib, mattress, pillow, and accessory options. It makes a lot of effort to manufacture its goods in the United States. This helps the team behind it make sure that safe, non-toxic materials go into every item.
When it comes to crib mattresses, Moonlight Slumber gives you an array of choices. The prices range from around $150 to $400. But the Little Dreamer Crib Mattress piqued our curiosity because it stands as one of the brand’s bestsellers.
The Little Dreamer wins when it comes to value for money. It costs below $200, but this memory foam consists of a firm layer for babies and a plush side foam for toddlers. Both sides are infused with plant oils. The mattress cover is a woven fire barrier that’s free from spray-on fire retardant chemicals. You’ll find this fabric is resistant to water, stain, and odor, and is antimicrobial to keep your newborn safe.
Aside from being non-toxic and medical-grade, the nylon cover has a seamless finish that makes the mattress look beautiful. That’s a plus for a memory foam mattress that protects your tot while he or she sleeps.
- Vinyl, polyethylene and PVC free, phthalates and lead free, non-toxic waterproof, durable nylon cove
- Extra firm high density foam infant side, firm high density foam toddler side, foam with CertiPUR certification
- Side stitched seams, waterproof, hypoallergenic
Safety 1st gives parents the support they need while nursing a baby. This Amazon merchant has a variety of products that will help you prioritize your precious one’s safety. Its offerings include convertible car seats, WiFi monitors, and baby gates. Of course, it is also well-known for its crib mattresses.
The Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Mattress made our best crib mattress review list not only because it’s a budget choice. The other reason is that it’s racked up a satisfactory rating from thousands upon thousands of Amazon buyers. The stellar reviews are due to its durability, firmness, and safety. It checks all of the important factors and leads to pricing.
Safety 1st uses here a high-density thermal-bonded foam wrapped in a waterproof cover. A perfect fit for most cribs, it also weighs light at around 8 lbs. Even without springs, it is firm enough to support your baby while also giving adequate softness to let him or her sleep comfortably.
Heavenly Dreams has passed the test for low emissions and been found free of lead and phthalates. It’s a high-quality and safe option for those who want to give their babies the best on a limited budget.
- NOTE: Item model# 5805096 is the same item as model# BM204. There was a change to the model number for manufacturer internal purposes. Actual item is same
- Lightweight and durable. It is made with high density thermo-bonded fiber core that provides firm support and a 100% Vinyl outer cover that is water resistant and wipes clean.
- Mattress dimensions: 52"L x 27.5"W x 5"H. Weight limit: 50 lb. For optimal use, rotate mattress every 2-3 months. 10-year limited warranty. Assembled in Canada.
Milliard has been in the business since 2009. Based in Jersey Shore, it complements dishing out premium quality products with exceptional customer experience. Its product development includes rigorous testing and evaluation. Yet, the company also weaves customer feedback into its process. So when you buy a Milliard mattress, cribs, and even pet beds, you’re putting your money into something worth investing in.
But you don’t have to worry about the price tag. For one, Milliard’s items won’t break the bank. For another, you get so much value from one product you’d think your money you used for buying was really worth something.
When it comes to bedding, the Milliard Hypoallergenic Mattress is hands down the best hypoallergenic foam. It was designed to keep babies from tossing and turning. This is good news for parents with newborns suffering from conditions like allergies and asthma. Improving their little one’s sleep quality will also improve theirs.
At the same time, this memory foam performs well in the contouring and support departments. It has sufficient firmness and stiffness, reducing the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. It also lessens the pressure and pain that may be keeping your baby from sleeping well. And have said it is very affordable?
- COMFORT: This baby mattress features a unique blend of firmness and comfort that is perfect for babies and toddlers.
- WATERPROOF: A waterproof cover protects your mattress.
- TESTED: Meets federal anti-flammability requirements and made with CERTIPUR certified foam.
Breathe Easy Baby (BEB) is all about designing breathable sleep systems. This traces its roots from its founder, who is an industrial designer. The patented passive airflow design allows for infants to sleep peacefully. Parents can let go of their worries especially over growing ones who roll over and lie on their stomach.
The Breathe Easy Baby Crib Mattress presents an alternative for parents who want more than what conventional crib mattresses can give. Indeed, the structure of this mattress lets air pass without interruption. Babies can breathe directly into the surface, which prevents suffocation. The sleep surface is made of medical-grade, 100% spun polyester spacer fabric. BEB has found also found a way to make it fire-safe without using FR chemicals.
Supporting the sleep surface is the base. The plastic bottom is made from recycled, non-corrosive materials, the edges from high-quality painted poplar. The sleep surface is latched on to the base a double ball catch system and is supported by steel arms. The crib mattress is delivered fully assembled to your doorstep. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and 10-year limited warranty.
No products found.
Colgate Mattress is a family business that has gone on to penetrate the mattress industry. Second to third generations of employees have also been with the family. Integrity, loyalty, and honesty are the time-honored values of the company. And these values are reflected in its products.
True to its purpose, Colgate Mattress has been perfecting the craft of crib and toddler mattress creation. It has various lines to offer, such as the Classic Collection, Eco, zenBaby, EverTrue, and buy Baby. The Eco Classica III Eco-Friendlier Crib Mattress is the perfect introduction to its Eco line.
Colgate Eco Classica III is a handcrafted crib mattress that doesn’t skimp on organic materials. From the cover to the foam, it lets your baby sleep on eco-friendlier foam. The 6-inch thick mattress features a firmer plant-oil based layer for infants and a softer eco foam for toddlers. The fire barrier is made of natural cotton while the cover is certified organic cotton.
If your family seeks an eco-friendlier lifestyle, it’s never too early to start with your newborn. The Colgate Eco Classica III is a truly green option you can try. It is certified to have been made in a low emission environment and is free of harmful chemicals.
- 2- STAGE DUAL-FIRMNESS: Designed with the extra firm side for infants that pediatricians recommend during those critical first years and the softer, less-firm side that provides the comfort toddlers prefer
- SAFE: GREENGUARD Gold, and CertiPUR-US certified. Designed to meet and exceed federal and state flammability requirements; CPSIA compliant
- WATERPROOF: Wrapped snugly inside an ultra-soft, certified organic cotton cover, our 2-stage crib mattress is designed with built-in waterproof-backing to ensure the mattress stays dry while baby's skin stays closest to organic cotton
Dream on Me is another family-owned company that produces mattresses. It has the largest selection of products among the brands we mentioned here. It seems to have it all, from cribs and bunk beds to bath and potty training and booster car seats. And Dream On Me has other family brands such as Evolur Baby and Mia Moda.
DOM has been featured on various shows including The Ellen Show, where its Evolur cribs were given as a part of Ellen’s giveaway on Mother’s Day. But all of these do not actually tell you if the DOM mattresses are great for your baby, right? Well, if being well-recognized and expert at baby products don’t mean anything to you, let’s move on to the Dream On Me Twilight Spring Coil Mattress review.
This is the only spring coil mattress option on our list. It features 80 steel coils, interwoven and heat-tempered for maximum support, comfort, and durability. Compact yet lightweight, it can cradle your baby even through the worst of nights. The waterproof polyurethane wrap keeps your darling one less bothered by bed wetting. The Twilight Spring Coil Mattress contains all the basics and some added features of memory foam mattresses.
- Mattress is proudly constructed of quality materials and workmanship in the USA
- Mattress Meets Federal Standard Flammability Standard 16-CFR 1633. All Dream on Me mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified for a healthy indoor environment for your baby.
- Fits all standard size cribs and toddler beds for years of use ;Offers a protective polyurethane foam wrap on each side delivers a plush sleeping surface
Sealy has 130 years of background in creating sleep products. Known for its innovation, it has won awards as well as the trust of parents across the United States. Safety and style define the Sealy brand. When it partnered with family-owned Kolcraft in 1993, it even became stronger. And it’s the Kolcraft focus on family that’s also kept Sealy searching for ways to “keep children safe and parents happy.”
Infant and toddler bedding makes up most of the product offerings of Sealy. Its mattresses are divided into the Classic Collection, Natural Collection, and Innovative Collection. We fund the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core from the Natural Collection a constant favorite among users and reviewers. So we asked what makes this one special.
Foremost, it uses renewable sources to produce a more natural, lower-emission foam. Each Sealy Soybean Foam Core Mattress passes through safety, quality, and chemical tests to ensure the company delivers on its promise. This lightweight mattress sports a ventilation layer to keep your baby comfortable and cool during sleep. It is firm enough to support your infant, and the soft cotton cover balances it out with some plush feel. It is also waterproof.
- LIGHTWEIGHT SOYBEAN FOAM-CORE -- Lightweight, soy based foam-core offers improved durability over conventional foams and uses renewable resources resulting in the use of less crude oils
- PREMIUM FOAM -- The foam used throughout is CertiPur-US Certified foam made in the USA. It is made without phthalates, lead, mercury, formaldehyde, PBDES, TDCPP or TCEP flame retardants that may be a concern in non-certified foams. Cover is wet-resistant
- WATERPROOF SURFACE & BINDING -- Reinforced embossed waterproof and stain-resistant cover with lock-stitched binding helps to keep liquids from seeping inside. Wipes clean easily
Know Before You Buy
When presented with many options, we can find it hard to pick one. We think we’re going to miss out on a good thing if we choose another. Our team understands this very well. Imagine how many candidates we have to sort through for each category! This is also the very reason we created criteria for judging.
We’re sharing with you the characteristics or metrics we looked at to arrive at our 8 best crib mattress review. You can also use them if you have a shortlist but still can’t come up with the one true crib mattress to buy for your tot.
Things to Look For In A Crib Mattress
Construction & Materials
It’s the same as the first consideration for an adult mattress, right? Indeed, when choosing a crib mattress, take note of its construction and materials. The more organic materials it contains, the higher it goes up in our book.
Infants need medium firmness to keep from sinking on the mattress. Newborn infants cannot support themselves yet, so this is second on our list. It really does improve the score of a mattress if it offers dual firmness. Having a plush side for toddlers can definitely make our purchase a bit more dedicated to the long-term.
There are infants who tend to roll over and sleep on their tummy. Breathability is what allows them to continue breathing through the mattress even in this position. Proper ventilation also enables them to sleep coolly and comfortably.
This can be a deal-breaker for some people. If you can get the same value for a smaller amount of money, why would you choose the more expensive one? Still, pricing is just one factor for us. It’s not even at the top because we’re always after quality first.
Delivery mode, trial period, warranty period, and customer service are just some of the secondary factors to look at. Sometimes, they can really move things forward. If you end up not removing any option from your shortlist, use these to eliminate the rest. Excellent customer service can really take the cake for us.
The ones on our list have passed this test. However, the best crib mattress for us is the Newton Crib Mattress. Newton has taken innovation and practicality to the next level with the Wovenaire. Do you agree? Let us know your thoughts by commenting below. And if this guide has helped you, please share it with your friends and family. The more they know about which crib will give their babies a safe space, the better.