Best Bamboo Mattress Review in 2019
Bamboo mattress? You read that right. In the quest for eco-friendly sources, mattress makers and designers are tapping the resilient and green bamboo.
The reputation of bamboo as a naturally cooling and safe material for mattresses is only growing. But this plant, an Asian gem, is already gaining high marks for being sustainable. Whether its viscose is infused in foam layers or its fabric is made into covers, bamboo is making its way into bedrooms.
If you want to have an idea on how a bamboo mattress can help you snooze, check out our list of the top 5 models in town. Take note that bamboo is still a recent introduction to the bedding industry.
Table of Contents
- Best Bamboo Mattress Review
- Know Before You Buy
- The Verdict
Best Bamboo Mattress Review
Snuggle-Pedic has been in the business for almost 20 years. Its parent company, Relief-Mart Inc, was recently rated as the 21st fastest-growing company in Los Angeles, California. Snuggle-Pedic has also garnered on its own high ratings and positive reviews on Amazon. Aside from bamboo mattresses, it also offers bamboo pillows, bamboo mattress toppers, and other products with natural materials.
The Snuggle-Pedic Mattress sports CertiPUR US-certified memory foam layers. The softer Snuggle-Flex memory foam cushions the shoulders and hips. The firmer channeled base layer gives the spine the support it needs while you snooze. This makes this bed a great choice for back and stomach sleepers. Of course, the bamboo cover is breathable and cozy, causing you to sleep like a baby.
This model comes with free shipping, a 4-month sleep trial, and a 25-year warranty. Terms are hard to beat with exchanges and customization offered at no additional cost. Get a Queen for $1,899.
- BLACK FRIDAY LIMITED TIME SPECIAL DEAL! The PATENTED AIRFLOW TRANSFER SYSTEM works by creating 100 TIMES THE BREATHABILITY of other mattresses that only use ventilation holes or channels, but not both and do not connect the two like the ONLY THE SNUGGLE-PEDIC MATTRESS does!
- Our Flex-Support Technology Gives The PRESSURE RELIEF of a Memory Foam/Gel Mattress, Only it is EASIER TO MOVE AROUND ON like a traditional mattress and MORE SUPPORTIVE. 100% MADE IN THE USA and CertiPUR-US Certified ECO-FRIENDLY and VERY LOW V.O.C.
- PRESSURE RELIEVING SURFACE WITH EXTRA SUPPORTIVE & FIRMER LOWER LAYER gives you the perfect balance and universal comfort. Compare to Tuft & Needle, Leesa, Sleep Innovations and Casper to see the difference for yourself!
The brand Cariloha focuses on creating products made of viscose from bamboo. It sells clothing, bathroom sets, and of course, mattresses. The Classic Luxury Bamboo Mattress is its signature bed, offered alongside the Cariloha Resort Bamboo Mattress. It contains bamboo charcoal memory foam that those who sleep hot and are prone to allergies would love.
Bamboo viscose can be plush, so it’s also the material used for the mattress cover. Below the bamboo memory foam is the luxury memory foam that contours the body and relieves pressure points. Then the edges are supported by side wedges, adding 20% to your sleeping surface while keeping the bed durable. Meanwhile, the dual-density base foam is highly breathable that Cariloha claims you’ll sleep 3 degrees cooler.
You’ll find some Cariloha retail showrooms in cruise ports. But you can also order online and avail of the same 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty. Your mattress will be shipped for free if you live in the contiguous U.S. The company also accommodates returns and will refund your entire payment. Prices are competitive, with a twin version selling for $650.
- SLEEP COMFIER - Dreamy soft - The Cariloha Mattress cover is dreamy soft and optimally comfortable, as its made of heavenly plush viscose from bamboo. Relieves Pressure - Adapts to your body shape, alleviating 95% more pressure off the body's main contour points.
- SLEEP CLEANER - Prevents Dust Mites - Naturally eradicates unwanted dust mites. Repels Odor - Supports a fresher-smelling sleep environment by eliminating toxins and bacteria caused by sweat during sleep. Certipur Certified - Tested to meet CertiPUR-US rigorous standards for emissions, content, performance, and durability.
- SLEEP COOLER - Improves Airflow - Naturally breathable, works in concert with our Flex-Flow base foam to improve airflow between you and the mattress to help you sleep cooler.
Another innovation from Lucid is the Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera Infused Mattress. The company prides itself on producing beds for entire families. And with this one, it injects natural materials to make sure you sleep safe and sound.
If keeping cozy and clean at night is a top concern, this mattress is a dependable performer. Its construction and materials are all winners. The first memory foam layer features bamboo charcoal, known to wick moisture and eliminate odors. More freshness is guaranteed by the aloe vera-infused memory foam underneath. Pocketed coils support your pressure points and reduce motion transfer at the same time.
Everything is wrapped in a Tencel fabric that cools the body and controls moisture. This mattress is made for side and back sleepers. Choose between 10 inches and 12 inches, depending on your weight. It also falls on the medium-plush side. Free shipping and 10-year warranty apply to beds bought in the U.S. Prices start at $299.
- Bamboo charcoal infusions eliminate odors and pull moisture away from the skin for a naturally hypoallergenic bed
- High-quality transition foam infused with aloe vera creates a calming and relaxing sleep environment that promotes daily freshness
- Medium-plush feel; memory foam, transition foam, and coils bring soft and gentle comfort underpinned by a well-balanced layer of support
Brentwood Home is another company proudly based in LA. It works with artisans and designers to provide consumers with home essentials using healthy and ethically-sourced materials. Its mattresses are handcrafted in its factory, one of which is the Cypress Bamboo Gel Mattress. This mattress blends bamboo, wool, and gel foam to ensure you sleep soundly at night.
The bamboo-infused zipped cover has a luxurious feel. More importantly, it works together with natural, OEKO-TEX-certified JOMA® New Zealand Wool to keep you cool and clean. Right on top is gel memory foam with 3 benefits: contouring, pressure relief, and motion isolation. It passed CertiPUR-US, so you won’t have to worry about toxic components in your bed.
Drooping in the middle is a legitimate concern for sleepers. The Queen, which is 13-inch thick, is specifically durable. It also delivers a medium feel (11 inch is medium-firm). But all sizes are expected to endure the natural product wear and tear. For a little less than $600, you can have this bamboo mattress shipped to your home free of charge. Original owners can take advantage of a 25-year warranty.
- COOLING MEMORY FOAM: 3.5-inches of gel memory foam conforms to your body for greater pressure relief and proper spinal alignment. Reduces tossing and turning and eliminates motion transfer.
- NATURAL BAMBOO & ORGANIC WOOL: Our soft bamboo derived rayon stretch knit cover is lined with GOTS and OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified organic wool to wick moisture, regulate temperature, and prevent odor. It's also removable so you can replace it when it's time for a refresh.
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Fiberglass free. Greenguard Gold Certified nontoxic and low VOC. Made with CertiPUR-US foams free of flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates.
Inside the Ultimate Dreams Mattress by Dreamfoam Mattress is a high-density foam base topped by Talalay latex foam. Talalay is a more modern way of converting rubber tree sap into latex foam. The result is a more breathable version than the traditional Dunlop latex. However, the latter is still proven to be more durable. The base, on the other hand, keeps you supported all throughout.
Completing the build is the super-stretchable bamboo cover. It is made of 100% bamboo fibers. This material improves softness while being easy to clean. Hypoallergenic and odor-reducing, it works hand-in-hand with Talalay latex to give you a comfortable sleep.
Choose the right firmness for you: Firm, Plush/Medium, and Ultra Plush/Soft. You can also ‘Ask Chuck’ for recommendations if you aren’t sure which firmness fits your frame, size, and sleeper type. Your purchase entitles you to free shipping, a 90-day trial (Amazon store), and a 10-year warranty. Take home a Queen for only $599.
- 10" Latex Mattress with Bamboo Cover
- Talalay Latex and High Density Base foam
- Mattress is Made in the USA
Know Before You Buy
Bamboo Mattress Types
- Bamboo mattresses mostly refer to beds that contain a bamboo-infused layer. As you read above, bamboo can be found in memory foam, usually the top layer. Sometimes, you’ll find bamboo charcoal in the label instead of just bamboo. This means the plant, harvested after a minimum of 5 years, is burned into pieces in an oven. It is low-emission and eco-friendly.
- Another use of bamboo in mattresses is as a cooling and comfortable cover. As for fabric, it is soft and breathable and wicks moisture. Memory foam mattresses with this cover can sleep relatively cool.
Factors to Consider
Consider the layers that make up the mattress. As you can learn from the reviews we write here, each layer in a bed has a job to do. The base typically reinforces support, improves perimeter support, and reduces motion transfer. If it’s a hybrid, see if pocketed coils are employed, as these are generally better than non-pocketed ones. They tend to isolate motion significantly. Breathable bases are also topnotch.
Support layers and comfort layers are your usual core and top layers. The support foam handles contouring while the comfort one carries cooling properties. The cover is just as important. Sometimes, you’ll find blended fabric for an added plush and/or improved airflow.
When checking out bamboo mattresses, a CertiPUR US certification will ensure that a declaration of bamboo in a foam layer can be trusted. OEKO-TEX is another standard that is often found in labeling fabric used in covers. If you’re buying a mattress that sports latex, a Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) and Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) would be very telling.
Price, Shipping, & Warranty
Based on our list, the lowest price of a bamboo mattress is $299. Then, it can go as high as $1,899 or even higher. There are various factors that go into a price-based decision. Your budget is definitely a top priority. But value for money also matters. A durable yet moderately priced design should fit the needs of budget-conscious consumers.
At the same time, a high price doesn’t always mean high quality. You should check the layers and certifications to be sure. And factor in warranty. Some manufacturers offer a 10-year warranty, while others cover 25 years.
Free shipping is now a common practice among companies. Purchases on Amazon are also delivered to your doorstep without additional charges.
We think Snuggle-Pedic is a good introductory bamboo mattress for those who are partially committed. Those who want to go all-in can try the Cariloha Luxury Bamboo Mattress.
Still on the fence? Read other reviews of mattress categories to widen your choices. Why don’t you start with the 10 Best Hybrid Mattress in 2019 [Complete Guide & Reviews]?